none
Access is open in exclusively mode, now create / open another connection

Question

• Hello,

I am using MDB (MS-Access database) file thru VB 6.0 / .net 3.5.

Application-A is opening data MDB fie under exclusive mode and running mode.
    Now application-B wants to open connection, but not able to open. Because application-A is already made exclusive connection.

Here is constraint: I cannot change in Application-A, because that is already in use. Now application-B where can I open same MDB file, which is already open in exclusive mode by application-A?

Error: You can't open 'c:\share\db1.mdb' for exclusive use because another user has the database open or becuase you do not have permission to open exclusively.

Can anybody guide / help me?

Thanks,
    Diyakshi

Monday, August 16, 2010 7:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Diyakshi,

Unless I'm missing something important, just open the database in shared mode - not exclusive mode.

Hello,

Now application-B wants to open connection, but not able to open. Because application-A is already made exclusive connection.

Here is constraint: I cannot change in Application-A, because that is already in use. Now application-B where can I open same MDB file, which is already open in exclusive mode by application-A?

Error: You can't open 'c:\share\db1.mdb' for exclusive use because another user has the database open or becuase you do not have permission to open exclusively.

Thanks,
    Diyakshi

Regards, Graham R Seach Microsoft Access MVP Sydney, Australia
    Monday, August 16, 2010 10:55 PM
  • You can't.

That's what exclusive mode means - application A is opening it exclusively, which means that no other application can open it until A quits. Your only choice is to change application A to open in shared mode.

Note that any multiuser application should be "split", with the data in one (shared) database and each user having their own copy of the application frontend, which can be opened exclusively (since it need not be shared).

John W. Vinson/MVP
    Monday, August 16, 2010 11:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Diyakshi,

Unless I'm missing something important, just open the database in shared mode - not exclusive mode.

Hello,

Thanks,
    Diyakshi

Regards, Graham R Seach Microsoft Access MVP Sydney, Australia
    Monday, August 16, 2010 10:55 PM
  • You can't.

That's what exclusive mode means - application A is opening it exclusively, which means that no other application can open it until A quits. Your only choice is to change application A to open in shared mode.

Note that any multiuser application should be "split", with the data in one (shared) database and each user having their own copy of the application frontend, which can be opened exclusively (since it need not be shared).

John W. Vinson/MVP
    Monday, August 16, 2010 11:32 PM