none
"Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6)" library reference is missing on only one end user's machine

Question

• Hello,

An end user is getting a compile error when executing an application.  The compile error is:  Cant find Project or Library.

I went into the access application and found that the Microsoft Window Common Controls 6.0 (SP6) is MISSING.  This error is only occurring on his machine.  I do not understand why this is the case.

Can anyone please help.

Thank you in advance.

smsemail

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:47 PM

Answers

• The Microsoft Window Common Controls 6.0 (SP6) - file MSCOMCTL.OCX - is not part of Access, usually.  This file is commonly installed by other softwares so quite often, you can have some PCs with this file and some without!

Try uncheck this Reference, i.e. remove the Reference from the References collection of your database, and see if your database compiles without error.  If it compiles, you can usually omit it from the References without any problem.

If the compilation gives error, then you need this file.  I think Microsoft Downloads has this file for download (with some caveat regarding installation, IIRC).  If you need this file, search Microsoft Downloads and install it on the problematic PC.

Van Dinh

• Marked as answer by smsemail Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:13 PM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:39 AM

All replies

• The Microsoft Window Common Controls 6.0 (SP6) - file MSCOMCTL.OCX - is not part of Access, usually.  This file is commonly installed by other softwares so quite often, you can have some PCs with this file and some without!

Try uncheck this Reference, i.e. remove the Reference from the References collection of your database, and see if your database compiles without error.  If it compiles, you can usually omit it from the References without any problem.

If the compilation gives error, then you need this file.  I think Microsoft Downloads has this file for download (with some caveat regarding installation, IIRC).  If you need this file, search Microsoft Downloads and install it on the problematic PC.

Van Dinh

• Marked as answer by smsemail Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:13 PM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:39 AM
  • Thanks Vin,

I unchecked the reference, and that fixed it.

smsemail

Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:13 PM