none
Outlook 2010 - Change/remove email account display name in title bar

Question

• Hi All!

Outlook 2010 always shows the email-address of the current user in its title bar. For some reasons, I need to search for a solution which would allow me either to skip this email-address in full in this place or to replace it with another text, e. g. first name followed by the lastname or whatever, but NOT the email address.

I found out that there was a similar posting concerning this topic about 1 year ago. It was already answered, saying that I need Redemption-Framework together with the ProfMan-library.

I already explored the Redemption homepage for some examples hoping they would help me to solve this problem, however I do not know at all which classes and methods I should use, in order to get access to the account display name in the title bar. I even do not know on which side (client- or exchange-server-side) I need to run this program.

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas/examples in advance!

Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:59 AM

Answers

• I believe you can just edit the registry to rename the account.

Run regedit an play a bit with

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
    Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

Regards,

Victor

• Marked as answer by BlueSky_1974 Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:37 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:38 AM
  • As far as I know, Outlook uses the display name (PR_DISPLAY_NAME) of the current store  to display in the caption bar.

The store name can be accessed through the RDOStore.Name property, the stores are exposed through the RDOSession.Stores collection.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.4 is now available!

• Marked as answer by BlueSky_1974 Monday, February 18, 2013 3:11 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:48 PM

All replies

• I believe you can just edit the registry to rename the account.

Run regedit an play a bit with

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
    Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

Regards,

Victor

• Marked as answer by BlueSky_1974 Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:37 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:38 AM
  • Hi Victor!

First of all, thanks for your quick answer. I already tried to play around with the registry the days before but with no success. Many parameters there are just ids having some hex-values and I absolutely do not know which of these parameters I should touch.

I will do some research on this again now. I will let you know as soon as there is some progress.

Thank you!

Regards,
    Sascha

• Marked as answer by BlueSky_1974 Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by BlueSky_1974 Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:36 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:33 PM
  • As far as I know, Outlook uses the display name (PR_DISPLAY_NAME) of the current store  to display in the caption bar.

The store name can be accessed through the RDOStore.Name property, the stores are exposed through the RDOSession.Stores collection.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Hi Victor!

Thank you soooo much!!! After some more investigations I found the right registry entry which holds the email-address that is used by Outlook to be displayed in its title bar. Now, I can change it to the appropriate text. As I noticed there seem to be no side effects on the email-communications itself so far. Great!!!

Thank you!!!

Best regards,

Sascha

Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:44 PM
  • Hi Dimitry!

Ok, I see. Very interesting. I will try your approach as soon as possible. I was already struggling with profiles, services and session-objects of the redemption- and profman-framework. No chance! I got completely lost and finally did not know which property to set. I found out that there were so many properties that are read-only. So, I hope that the property that you mention can be written also.

By the way, do you know at which point in time outlook reads out the name of the current store? Because I plan to integrate the functionality for changing outlook's title bar inside a VSTO-AddIn. Otherwise, I need a separate vb.net program to be executed before outlook is started on the local machine.

Best regards,

Sascha

Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:57 PM
  • Outlook reads PR_DISPLAY_NAME from IMsgStore every teem you change the selected folder.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:01 PM
  • Hi Victor!

Thank you soooo much!!! After some more investigations I found the right registry entry which holds the email-address that is used by Outlook to be displayed in its title bar. Now, I can change it to the appropriate text. As I noticed there seem to be no side effects on the email-communications itself so far. Great!!!

Thank you!!!

Best regards,

Sascha

Glad to help.

Regards,

Victor

Friday, February 15, 2013 6:43 AM
  • Hi Dimitry!

I was very successful. Thanks a lot!

I implemented a small program that is doing all the stuff that I need using the Redemption-Lib and your approach. Of course your solution is the more elegant one, instead of manipulating the registry.

So, rewriting registry keys would be somehow a compromise if everything fails.

Best regards,

Sascha

• Unmarked as answer by BlueSky_1974 Monday, February 18, 2013 3:11 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 3:11 PM