none
Using ODBC with Access 2010 Web Database

Question

• I used the out-of-the-box Access Web Contacts Database and got that all working.  I created a SQL database with all the same names and replaced the Access database with an ODBC SQL databse.  The programs runs fine but when I go to publish the web app, the compatibility checker tells me the ODBC is not compatible.  All the documentation I find says it should work.  So what's up?
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:04 AM

Answers

• Actually, no, I not have seen anything that suggests that ODBC is available as a choice when using Web objects in an Access Web database. So, I not sure where you read this, but such suggesting is 100% wrong. The "key" concept here is "web ojbects".

Of course, often what one assumes vs. the context of what stated is the issue here.

In an Access application you are MOST free to include external links in that application. That means you can include VBA forms, and even forms that are linked to EXTERNAL data sources. That EXTERNAL data source could be a link to a csv file, a accDB file, a FoxPro file (odbc), or even SQL server (again ODBC). While such links and connections can be included in the web database, you ARE NOT PERMITTED to use such external links for the web objects (web forms).

So,  in regards to Access 2010 and web publishing, there is no such support for using ODBC **with** web objects. And there is not any document(s) or article(s) or anything of even a crumb falling off a cake that suggests this is possible.

So whatever it is you been reading (or eating), it is simply 100% wrong and incorrect information, or as noted you are taking out of context of what is being stated as possible here.

To re-state:
    You CAN include NON web objects in the published web application. These non web objects ALSO can include forms and data based on ODBC links. So you can include such ODBC data links in the published application. However such links cannot be used with ANY web objects in a web browser. And for web objects thus such external connections in web forms (running in a browser) cannot use ODBC at all.

You can most certainly launch the desktop client of such a applicaton. A form can thus pull data from a ODBC connection (such as SQL server), and that same form can then push data up to the published Web site (you can thus have table links to these external sources – including the web site).

So from the desktop client, you can most certainly mix + match up all kinds of different data sources that Access is famous for. Thus this application running CLIENT SIDE can utilize data from all of these sources (and that client application can be published to the web). However, this connection ability does not translate into ANY kind of support for Access web objects such as web forms being able to use ODBC (they cannot).

As noted, I have not seen an article, a document, a suggestion, a crumb falling off a cake, or even anything in ANY kind of context that suggests this is possible for Access 2010 – it is simply not the case.

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:32 AM

All replies

• Actually, no, I not have seen anything that suggests that ODBC is available as a choice when using Web objects in an Access Web database. So, I not sure where you read this, but such suggesting is 100% wrong. The "key" concept here is "web ojbects".

Of course, often what one assumes vs. the context of what stated is the issue here.

In an Access application you are MOST free to include external links in that application. That means you can include VBA forms, and even forms that are linked to EXTERNAL data sources. That EXTERNAL data source could be a link to a csv file, a accDB file, a FoxPro file (odbc), or even SQL server (again ODBC). While such links and connections can be included in the web database, you ARE NOT PERMITTED to use such external links for the web objects (web forms).

So,  in regards to Access 2010 and web publishing, there is no such support for using ODBC **with** web objects. And there is not any document(s) or article(s) or anything of even a crumb falling off a cake that suggests this is possible.

So whatever it is you been reading (or eating), it is simply 100% wrong and incorrect information, or as noted you are taking out of context of what is being stated as possible here.

To re-state:
    You CAN include NON web objects in the published web application. These non web objects ALSO can include forms and data based on ODBC links. So you can include such ODBC data links in the published application. However such links cannot be used with ANY web objects in a web browser. And for web objects thus such external connections in web forms (running in a browser) cannot use ODBC at all.

You can most certainly launch the desktop client of such a applicaton. A form can thus pull data from a ODBC connection (such as SQL server), and that same form can then push data up to the published Web site (you can thus have table links to these external sources – including the web site).

So from the desktop client, you can most certainly mix + match up all kinds of different data sources that Access is famous for. Thus this application running CLIENT SIDE can utilize data from all of these sources (and that client application can be published to the web). However, this connection ability does not translate into ANY kind of support for Access web objects such as web forms being able to use ODBC (they cannot).

As noted, I have not seen an article, a document, a suggestion, a crumb falling off a cake, or even anything in ANY kind of context that suggests this is possible for Access 2010 – it is simply not the case.

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:32 AM
  • Would you dare speculate what might be possible with the upcoming A2013?

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:01 AM
  • You actually while opening a wonderful can of worms do in fact have a great point. For 2013 backend is SQL server and yes that server does in fact Accept ODBC connections. Of course this don't mean the web site can connect to ODBC sources - but at least ODBC can connect to the data - this does open doors in regards to replication and having on site SQL pump data up to the web application. I not checked if this does in a round about way suggest ODBC sources can be used via replication.

However - yes ODBC to the data server is supported in 2013 and is a real door opening feature.

Albert k

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:20 AM