none
remove access 2003 user level security

Question

• Hi everyone,

Just wanted to thank you now for any help you can provide. 

I am an electronics instructor for the Marine Corps and was developing a company dbase with user level security enabled.  I Sept we were forced to migrate to Access 2007.  I am tring to figure out how to remove the user level security from the Access 2003 dbase before I convert it over to Access 2007.  I don't know if I am wasting my time trying to keep the Access 2003 user level security active in 2007.  There are security issues I am having when we convert to 2007.  Since the workgroup is no longer needed, all the tables are exposed.  If I turn off the Nav Pane, then I can develop anything.  We are working off of a server.  We do not have an SQL server. 

I have built 5 databases using user level security.  I know you can remove it but we don't have access to 2003 anymore that is causing my issues.  Or do I have any issues? 

I just need a way for the user to enter his name, get assigned a security level and use that level to limit the Ribbon Bar, Nav Pane and Access shortcut menus but still allow me to develop on the go.  I work on this dbase after hours and the forced upgrade is causing me problems.

Any help, links, solutions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you again for taking the time to help someone in disstress. 

r/s

Martin Cox

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:06 PM

Answers

• Martin,

If you want to keep the security then use the .MDB (Access 2003) database with Access 2007, no need to convert.  It will work as long as you do NOT convert it.  And it sounds like you do need the need the security so just leave it alone and it will be fine.

However, if you want to convert it I would recommend removing the security and then converting.  To remove the security see...

http://www.jmwild.com/Unsecure.htm

NOTE:  Security has been removed from Access 2007 (and up) so once you convert it you would be forced to use some other means, such as SQL Server, for security should convert to the new .ACCDB format.

--
    Gina Whipp
    2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

Please post all replies to the forum where everyone can benefit.
    • Proposed as answer by Bruce Song Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:10 AM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Martin,

First, thanks for doing what you do. I, for one appreciate your service (and the service of those whom you instruct).

Second, one thing you do need to understand is that the User-level Security (aka Workgroup security) in earlier version of MS Access was childishly simple to hack/crack. So, please don't think that you are accomplishing too teribly much by using it or sticking with it.

that said, Gina's advice is right on the money. Keep your databses in 2003's .mdb format, and Access 2007 should be OK. The issue you _may_ have there is whether or not the full install of Office/Access 2007 was done for you or not. IIRC the workgroup msanager was not so obviously accessible in the 2007 install, unless a COMPLETE Install option was chosen when they set up Office/Access 2007 for you.

I believe that the full start menus can be used to find the workgroup admin utility and configure it so that the database will work as before.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918583

Mark Burns, MCAD, MCP
    Sr. Microsoft Access Analyst/Developer
    Manager LinkedIn.Com community: Professional Microsoft Access Developers Network (PMADN)
    • Edited by Mark Burns - PMADN Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:49 PM typo
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:48 PM

All replies

• Martin,

If you want to keep the security then use the .MDB (Access 2003) database with Access 2007, no need to convert.  It will work as long as you do NOT convert it.  And it sounds like you do need the need the security so just leave it alone and it will be fine.

However, if you want to convert it I would recommend removing the security and then converting.  To remove the security see...

http://www.jmwild.com/Unsecure.htm

NOTE:  Security has been removed from Access 2007 (and up) so once you convert it you would be forced to use some other means, such as SQL Server, for security should convert to the new .ACCDB format.

--
    Gina Whipp
    2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

Please post all replies to the forum where everyone can benefit.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Martin,

First, thanks for doing what you do. I, for one appreciate your service (and the service of those whom you instruct).

Second, one thing you do need to understand is that the User-level Security (aka Workgroup security) in earlier version of MS Access was childishly simple to hack/crack. So, please don't think that you are accomplishing too teribly much by using it or sticking with it.

that said, Gina's advice is right on the money. Keep your databses in 2003's .mdb format, and Access 2007 should be OK. The issue you _may_ have there is whether or not the full install of Office/Access 2007 was done for you or not. IIRC the workgroup msanager was not so obviously accessible in the 2007 install, unless a COMPLETE Install option was chosen when they set up Office/Access 2007 for you.

I believe that the full start menus can be used to find the workgroup admin utility and configure it so that the database will work as before.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918583

Mark Burns, MCAD, MCP
    Sr. Microsoft Access Analyst/Developer
    Manager LinkedIn.Com community: Professional Microsoft Access Developers Network (PMADN)
    • Edited by Mark Burns - PMADN Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:49 PM typo
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:48 PM
  • Gina, Thank you for the reply. I will unsecure the dbase and then do the conversion. The reason for the must convert is to link SharePoint to our dbase to automate updating SharePoint Calendar using the Company dbase. I will let you know how it turns out. Thank you again. Martin
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:04 PM