none
"An error occurred accessing your Microsoft SharePoint Foundation site files" connecting site with SharePoint Designer

    Question

  • I have a SharePoint 2013 environment with 1 AD Server, 1 DB Server and 1 APP Server, with 13 Web Applications running under the SharePoint.

    Recently I rebuilted the application because of some infrasctrucutre problems, and I was able to solve all of them, except one. I can't connect to any of those 13 Web Apps with SharePoint Designer. When I try to connect, it always ask credentials, then it seems like loading the site, then the error appears:

    "An error occurred accessing your Microsoft SharePoint Foundation site files. Authors - if you are authoring against a Web server, please contact the Webmaster for this server's Web site. WebMasters - please see the server's application event log for more details."

    Inline image 1

    I've spent hours troubleshooting it, but none of the information I found was valid. I've already tried to clean the cache, but didn't work. I found plenty of related data of this error with FrontPage and old versions of SharePoint, but nothing helped. All the Web Apps are SPD-Enabled at Site Collection Administration. I've tried connecting from many different PC's. The 15/LOGS folder doesn't get any data from this error, neither the Event Viewer.

    I really don't know what else to do. Please Help!

    Monday, August 18, 2014 6:36 PM

Answers

  • I found the answer of my issue was in a .NET Agent installed by NewRelic on the server. I found a connection trouble with Fiddler, then I end up figuring this out:

    This can be the result of Real User Monitoring so the first step in troubleshooting would be to disable it and see how it affects the application. The .Net Agent injects snippets of javascript into the header of pages sent to the users browser to measure the page load time on the user's end.

    You can disable RUM by editing newrelic.config and changing this line:

    <browserMonitoring autoInstrument="true"/>

    to this:

    <browserMonitoring autoInstrument="false"/>

    • Marked as answer by Mateus N Monday, August 25, 2014 5:29 PM
    Monday, August 25, 2014 5:29 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Thank you for your question. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience. Thank you for your understanding and support.

    Thanks,
    Linda Li
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.


    Linda Li
    TechNet Community Support

    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 4:42 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

    Did you install the designer in your app server, or in your PC? I think you can install your designer in your app sever, and then connect. Try this way, it may help you.

    Paul Shui
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer?on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer?if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 6:27 AM
  • Hello, and thank you for your reply.

    I tried from many different locations, including a SPD installed in the server and many other clients.


    • Edited by Mateus N Tuesday, August 19, 2014 1:49 PM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:43 PM
  • Anyone?
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

    Please check your sharepoint designer version, is it 32 bit,or 64 bit ? And during your installation, did you meet any error message?

    Paul Shui
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer?on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer?if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

    Friday, August 22, 2014 7:17 AM
  • Hello Paul,

    I'm using SharePoint Designer 2013 x64, and I got no errors during the installation. I also tried from other computers, so there is no way it could be related with the install process.

    Friday, August 22, 2014 7:04 PM
  • Hi,

    Please try to use IP address to connect the sharepoint site, and use the administrator account,maybe it can work.By the way,the screenshot you added can't be seen.

    Paul Shui
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer?on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer?if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

    Monday, August 25, 2014 4:12 AM
  • I found the answer of my issue was in a .NET Agent installed by NewRelic on the server. I found a connection trouble with Fiddler, then I end up figuring this out:

    This can be the result of Real User Monitoring so the first step in troubleshooting would be to disable it and see how it affects the application. The .Net Agent injects snippets of javascript into the header of pages sent to the users browser to measure the page load time on the user's end.

    You can disable RUM by editing newrelic.config and changing this line:

    <browserMonitoring autoInstrument="true"/>

    to this:

    <browserMonitoring autoInstrument="false"/>

    • Marked as answer by Mateus N Monday, August 25, 2014 5:29 PM
    Monday, August 25, 2014 5:29 PM