none
Increasing the scale on the X axis of an Excel Graph

Answers

• Double-click the x-axis, or select the x-axis, then activate the Layout or Format tab of the ribbon and click Format Selection.

Under Axis Type, select Text Axis, then click OK.

(Another option is to change the chart type to an xy scatter chart.)

Regards, Hans Vogelaar
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your post.

As you have a great amounts of data you want to show on a chart, I really recommend you to add a filter for the End Time column to pick up only a small period of time to display, see the illustration:

And here is completed workbook edited by me:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=53252f8e9d778685&resid=53252F8E9D778685!300&parid=53252F8E9D778685!153

I hope this helps.

Calvin Gao[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:50 AM
  • Here is what I ended up doing.

First, I created a chart just using the to variables (columns).  The X axis was the time and the Y axis was the CPU Utilization.  I modified the X-axis to be treated as TEXT.  This seemed to correct the problem.

Next, I created a new series with my other variable (Memory Utilization).  Once I did that, the graph appeared as I needed it!

Thank you for all your help!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:53 PM

All replies

• Double-click the x-axis, or select the x-axis, then activate the Layout or Format tab of the ribbon and click Format Selection.

Under Axis Type, select Text Axis, then click OK.

(Another option is to change the chart type to an xy scatter chart.)

Regards, Hans Vogelaar
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:58 PM
  • I have Excel 2007.  I tried to figure out how your instructions would work for this version and it still did not work!
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:33 PM
  • I have Excel 2010, but it should work the same in Excel 2007.

Could you make a copy of the workbook available through one of the websites that let you upload and share a file, such as Windows Live SkyDrive (skydrive.live.com) or DropBox (www.dropbox.com), then post a link here?

Or register at www.eileenslounge.com (it's free) and post a message in the Excel forum. You can attach files up to 250 KB to a post there.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:36 PM
  • OK, here is the link for the file.  I hope this works.  I am a novice for dropbox as well!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56650119/SCM%20Rateware%20Network%20Traffic%20Dec%2011%20-%20Dec%2016.xlsx

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:34 PM
  • There is no chart in the file that you uploaded, so I don't know what exactly you want.

I added a chart and changed the x-axis to a text axis. See https://skydrive.live.com/#!/edit.aspx?cid=0CAE9FF0A56DD9D4&resid=CAE9FF0A56DD9D4%21160

Regards, Hans Vogelaar
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:05 PM
  • Sorry about that.  The version I put up on Dropbox was old.  This one has the most current version.  Please try the link above to retrieve the correct one now.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Thanks. It is an XY scatter chart. You have 2 options:

1) Change the chart type to a line chart, then set the axis type for the x-axis to Text Axis.

- or -

2) Double-click the x-axis in the XY scatter chart. In the Axis Options, set Major Unit to fixed, then enter a suitable unit. It is currently 1.0 = 1 day = 24 hours. If you want it to be 3 hours, for example, set it to 0.125 (3 hours = 3/24 day = 1/8 day = 0.125). Or if you want the unit to be 6 hours, set it to 0.25 (6 hours = 6/24 day = 0.25).

Note: there is little point in plotting b/s and kb/s in the same chart. If you plot them on the same y-axis, kb/s will be squashed to coincide with the x-axis, but if you plot kb/s on the secondary y-axis, the two series will coincide with each other.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:48 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your post.

As you have a great amounts of data you want to show on a chart, I really recommend you to add a filter for the End Time column to pick up only a small period of time to display, see the illustration:

And here is completed workbook edited by me:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=53252f8e9d778685&resid=53252F8E9D778685!300&parid=53252F8E9D778685!153

I hope this helps.

Calvin Gao[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:50 AM
  • Here is what I ended up doing.

First, I created a chart just using the to variables (columns).  The X axis was the time and the Y axis was the CPU Utilization.  I modified the X-axis to be treated as TEXT.  This seemed to correct the problem.

Next, I created a new series with my other variable (Memory Utilization).  Once I did that, the graph appeared as I needed it!

Thank you for all your help!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:53 PM