none
Which exe or dll provides the icons for Access 2010?

Question

• I have looked into many of the dll and exe files associated with Access and Office 2010 and have not found what I'd call the primary source for the icons that Access shows. I also don't find much on this on the web, surprisingly. Someone here must know?

Thanks

Friday, November 18, 2011 6:23 PM

All replies

• I have looked into many of the dll and exe files associated with Access and Office 2010 and have not found what I'd call the primary source for the icons that Access shows. I also don't find much on this on the web, surprisingly. Someone here must know?

Check MSACCESS.EXE. SHould be in your Microsoft Office\OFFICE folder.

For 2007, I see about 60 available icons.

Sunday, November 20, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Thanks syswizard. I know about those particular icons. I am after the many other icons that Access uses for the ribbon etc. As far as I've been able to determine, icons used on the ribbon are not accessible via the regular icon extracting programs. 

I want to use the icons on buttons inside an Access app. It'd make sense to have the same image on the ribbon and on the form button which takes the same action. The icons that are available on the button's picture dialog are prehistoric.

I can always take screenshots of the ribbon icons and use the saved images. I wanted to find a way to extract the icons cleanly in the hope that background transparency, size etc would stay intact.

Sunday, November 20, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Hi RustiCloud,

You can extract icons using the getimage callback function.

see http://www.accessribbon.de/en/?Access_-_Ribbons:User_Defined_Icons___Pictures_In_Ribbon_Controls for syntax etc...

Brian, ProcessIT- Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 11:20 PM
  • Thanks Brian. I know about that function but am not sure it could be used to either extract the images to png etc, or to apply to a regular Access button? I may explore that, but do you know off hand if it can be used that way?
    Monday, November 21, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Hi Rusty,

I recall i wrote some code once to extract some. I think they use both an image file and a mask (transparency) so you will need to cater for saving both of these. I then combined them in a graphics editor and saved as a gif or png. However I am not too certain about MS copyright rules on icons, so now build most of my icons from scratch...

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, November 28, 2011 6:41 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by rusticloud Monday, November 28, 2011 3:06 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Rusty,how about the problem on you side? If you still show any concern on the problem, just feel free to let us know.

Best Regards, 

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Edited by Bruce Song Friday, November 25, 2011 1:19 AM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 1:19 AM
  • I would still like to know how to extract the icons that are used in Office 2010, particularly the icons used for the ribbon. The ribbon system is so much more difficult to work with than the toolbar system in this and virtually ever other regard.

Brian's responses were fine but there is still no indication of a way to get the images out as png files so that they might be used on a command button, for example.

Monday, November 28, 2011 3:10 PM
  • Rusti,

Try this download. http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=11675

Once you have it you can manipulate the images as you need....

Monday, November 28, 2011 7:32 PM
  • Wow, a nice finding of the Excel gallery. Thank you very much, ProccessIT.

Regards,

Be happy.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:43 AM
  • Rusty, how about the problem on your side? If you still show any concern on the problem, just feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 3:19 AM
  • I was aware of that office 2007 icon gallery before I made this post. I don't see any way to copy/paste the images it shows. The gallery seems to be useful as a way to see what the icons look like and how to ref them in a ribbon. If there is a way to use that info to copy the images, please tell me, as that is what I am looking for. I don't think there is an office 2010 edition of this add in either. I didn't look into what it might take to convert it to 2010.
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Hi Rusty,

I wrote somthing based on the help on CommandBarButton.Picture Property:

Sub GetButtonImageAndMask()
        Dim picPicture As IPictureDisp
        Dim picMask As IPictureDisp

With Application.CommandBars.FindControl(msoControlButton)
            'Get the button image and mask of this CommandBarButton object.
            Set picPicture = .Picture
            Set picMask = .Mask
        End With

'Save the button image and mask in a folder.
        stdole.SavePicture picPicture, "c:\image.bmp"
        stdole.SavePicture picMask, "c:\mask.bmp"
    End Sub

Instead of the FindControl you will need to use the GetImageMso method...

• Proposed as answer by Bruce Song Monday, December 05, 2011 3:13 AM
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 8:11 PM
  • @ Mike, You are welcome.
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 8:12 PM
  • I'll see if I can adapt that, looks very doable, so thanks again.
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 8:13 PM
  • I'm sorry, I know just the .exe holding the access icons of office 2013; should be at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\ACCICONS.exe

maybe with office 2010 its the same...

Monday, April 14, 2014 5:12 PM