none
Remove unnecessary columns from Chart

Question

• Hi,

May I know how to remove unnecessary columns from the MS Project CHART view? My project only lasts thru 2011 however the chart shows 2012 and beyond. When I print the chart (even with the proper dates inputted in the Print dialogue box), the printed copy stills shows 2012, 2013 - which is actually eating up valuable space which could otherwise be showing (and enlarging) the 2011 key activities. My Manager is only interested in seeing 2011. Can someone help me please?

Thank you so much, 

Nirav

Friday, April 15, 2011 5:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Nirav,

I think we resolved this on the other forum, but was it the number of columns being printed in the Page Setup dialog?

Julie

Monday, April 18, 2011 10:08 AM
  • Hi Nirav,

You're most welcome for the assist and thanks for the kind feedback. 

For those following this thread: Nirav's challenges were two fold -- there were tasks scheduled in 2011 as well as 2012.  When printing the Gantt, project wanted to include all task dates including those after the time of interest.  Nirav had entered the specific (2011) date range into the Print dialog but was still getting the data from 2012 in the Gantt chart print out.  Filtering the list of tasks helped but the resulting print out was very tiny.  Nirav then tried increasing the scaling in the Page Setup dialog only to be faced with an error message from Project.  The issue was finally resolved by checking the View tab in the Page Setup dialog.  Nirav had 10 columns selected in the "Print the first X columns on all pages" selected.  Deselecting that option and adjusting the column visible fixed the problem.

I hope this helps others.

Julie

Monday, April 18, 2011 9:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Nirav,

Which Project version you are using? 2010 or 2007.

Sapna S
    Friday, April 15, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Hi Sapna,

I'm using MS Project 2007. Just to try and zero in on the area with the most activity I inputted the dates 15-Mar. to 15-Jul., 2011. .... still.... I keep getting the printout going/showing all the way to 3Q2013.

Thank you,

Nirav

He was a cruel man... but fair.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Hi ledzep,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project forum:)

Check that you have installed the latest driver for your printer.

Please see FAQ Item: 44.  Printing Problems

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials
    Friday, April 15, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Hi Nirav,

I think we resolved this on the other forum, but was it the number of columns being printed in the Page Setup dialog?

Julie

Monday, April 18, 2011 10:08 AM
  • Hi Julie,

Yes it is resolved. Thanks for continuing to watch out for us newbies! We really appreciate your expertise. We're only going to get better if we have a little help getting past these types of "annoyances" that always seem to consume the most of our time!   :-)

Nira

He was a cruel man... but fair.
    Monday, April 18, 2011 12:33 PM
  • Hi Nirav,

You're most welcome for the assist and thanks for the kind feedback. 

For those following this thread: Nirav's challenges were two fold -- there were tasks scheduled in 2011 as well as 2012.  When printing the Gantt, project wanted to include all task dates including those after the time of interest.  Nirav had entered the specific (2011) date range into the Print dialog but was still getting the data from 2012 in the Gantt chart print out.  Filtering the list of tasks helped but the resulting print out was very tiny.  Nirav then tried increasing the scaling in the Page Setup dialog only to be faced with an error message from Project.  The issue was finally resolved by checking the View tab in the Page Setup dialog.  Nirav had 10 columns selected in the "Print the first X columns on all pages" selected.  Deselecting that option and adjusting the column visible fixed the problem.

I hope this helps others.

Julie

Monday, April 18, 2011 9:46 PM
  • Hello Julie -

Thanks for summarizing the complete thread - it is quite useful for anyone who has not watched that thread. Great effort

Sai PMI-SP, MCTS Project
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:15 AM