none
Feasibility of copying the tempalte definitions to document.

Question

• Hi,

How feasible it is to copy the template definitions to a to an existing docx file and what are the things to be aware of?

Related posts i have already entered:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/oxmlsdk/thread/199ff247-529e-4fe3-a8aa-bf292aa11010

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/oxmlsdk/thread/6c2e4dcb-38fc-426e-80fd-cd0f73eda05d

Details:

For example when I copy styles in the style.xml from the template to docx, it obviously alter some of the attributes which were originally written in the document's style.xml; For example the rsId attribute within document style will be replaced by that of in the template when a copy happens. So is this approach of directly copying the style definition is a feasible one? If yes, what are its implications and what other things we need to be aware of if we need to do the xml manipulations ourselves?

Note I am trying it in the Java.

Thanks.

Monday, March 11, 2013 10:43 AM

Answers

• Hi gpbk

Could you give us an example of the kind of thing you're worried about?

Since styles are identified by a string, rather than an index number (as in Excel) there shouldn't be any problems in that regard. Only if the styles.xml you're copying wouldn't have a style name that's been used in the document - that could possibly cause a problem (although my instincts tell me Word might simply use "Normal").

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, March 15, 2013 5:33 PM

All replies

• Also when I say copy, it is copy done programatically in the server side.

Monday, March 11, 2013 10:44 AM
  • Hi Wilson Taylor,

Thanks for the response.

I am not looking to create my own styles in docx but trying to copy them from a template. As I mentioned it seems to work (meaning the style gallery shows the exact same styles that of template) when I do a copy of style.xml from template to docx but it also replaces many aspects (like rsIds) which was residing in the original style.xml of docx. I was wondering if this has any implications (though it seem to work in the test of opening the document) but I am wondering whether this could have any implications in certain scenarios I am unaware of..

I hope that my question is clear.

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:44 AM
  • Hi gpbk

Could you give us an example of the kind of thing you're worried about?

Since styles are identified by a string, rather than an index number (as in Excel) there shouldn't be any problems in that regard. Only if the styles.xml you're copying wouldn't have a style name that's been used in the document - that could possibly cause a problem (although my instincts tell me Word might simply use "Normal").

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, March 15, 2013 5:33 PM
  • Hi Guru K,

I temporarily marked the reply as answer. You can unmark it if it provides no help.

Please feel free to let us know if you need any help.

Have a nice day.

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:19 AM