none
Your Microsoft Office Access Database or project contains a missing or broken reference to the file 'msador15.dll' version 6.0 - name conflicts with existing module, project or object library

    Question

  • I created a database on my laptop (running 32 bit Vista) and am having trouble with the database on a second laptop running XP pro (32 bit).  Both are running Access 2007.

    The XP laptop gives me the error message: Your Microsoft Office Access Database or project contains a missing or broken reference to the file 'msador15.dll' version 6.0 when I open my database.  I wasn't really certain what this meant, but later discovered that I cannot run queries using the left Function, as demonstrated here: http://www.techonthenet.com/access/functions/string/left.php

    So I did a search on msador15.dll and discovered that this shows up as potentially several different things in the VBA reference Library.  The title of the missing reference is: MISSING: Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Recordset 6.0 Library.  I had been under the impression that this file was the Vista equivalent to the XP reference: Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Recordset 2.8 Library, which I have selected as a reference on the XP machine.  Looking at the location of this file though, shows it is different, I have the location of: C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\System\addo\msado15.dll, so this file is different because it is msado15.dll and not msador15.dll.

     

    Now I did a search and found a msador15.dll file on my computer at: C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\msador15.dll.  I Tried to add this reference to my library (It shows listed once I select it under browse as: Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Recordset 2.8 Library) but I get an error message: "Name Conflicts with Existing Module, Project or Object Library"

     

    Can anyone help me out?  I feel like I'm pretty good with Access, but I'm completely new to Windows System Files.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:30 PM

Answers

  • I had unchecked the Missing Reference and checked the 2.8  Recordset, but still had problems.  I finally found a solution in Decompiling the database:

     

    http://rogersaccessblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-do-i-decompile-database.html

     

    and then Recompiling with the missing file unchecked and the 2.8 recordset checked.

    • Marked as answer by w85 Monday, July 25, 2011 3:10 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 3:10 PM

All replies

  • You need to uncheck reference that says "Missing ..." or any other Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Recordset that you have checked. Then you can select the new reference.


    Patrick Wood Gaining Access http://gainingaccess.net
    Monday, July 25, 2011 3:06 PM
  • I had unchecked the Missing Reference and checked the 2.8  Recordset, but still had problems.  I finally found a solution in Decompiling the database:

     

    http://rogersaccessblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-do-i-decompile-database.html

     

    and then Recompiling with the missing file unchecked and the 2.8 recordset checked.

    • Marked as answer by w85 Monday, July 25, 2011 3:10 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 3:10 PM