none
InfoPath 2010: Receive Data by Sending a Node with XML Subtree via Rules?

Question

• Hi,

When creating a Submit data connection to a web wservice, the user has the ability to set a parameter to the value of a node, including the subtree, as a string (assuming the various checkboxes and drop-downs are set to do so). However, the Submit data connections do not allow the handling of responses from the web service (for specific success/error handling).

In order to get around the latter limitation, one can use a Receive data connection, so the response can be handled within the InfoPath form. However, the XML subtree of a node cannot be set using Rules. I can see a way to make this happen with custom code, but we're creating a custom web service (intranet only!) that allows flexibility for a lot of users to create a lot of forms, and who do not have the ability to do the custom programming.

I see that QDabra qRules has a GetXML function that can be used via Rules. Why is this not built-in to InfoPath??!!!??

Alternatively, why doesn't a Submit data connection allow for response handling??!!!??

From what I've heard, InfoPath 2013 has no changes from 2010. Please, someone, tell me one (or even better, both!) of these fixes is in 2013!

Thanks,

MMT

• Edited by MiniMeTwo Thursday, December 06, 2012 8:53 PM
    • Moved by Forrest GuoModerator Monday, December 10, 2012 9:18 AM (From:Developing Apps for Office 2013)
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hi MiniMeTwo,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'll involve some experts who are more familiar with your issue. This may take some time.

Thank you for your patient and understanding.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, December 10, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Hi MMT,

Submit and Receive data connections do indeed work the same way in InfoPath 2013 as they do in InfoPath 2010. 

If you can provide some additional details as to what you are ultimately trying to accomplish, I would be happy to see if I can help you implement something that does not require code. I realize the way our data connections work may not be optimal in your scenario but I am more than happy to try and help if I can.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott Heim - Microsoft Office InfoPath and SharePoint Designer Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 9:28 PM
  • I think my initial post sums up what we're trying to do. I am amazed that "submit"-ing InfoPath forms to a web service will not allow handling of the return data. Alternately, we'd be happy with the ability to select a node and its sub-tree for submission to a "receive" request.

Thanks for your reply, Scott. If there's anything more specific I can provide, please provide details.

Thanks again,

MMT

Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:15 PM