none
Stop the "do you want to save changes to design of the form message" - Access 2010 ONLY

Question

• This only applied to Access 2010 , and, AFAIK, only applies when using DataSheets as subforms of Navigation Controls.

Steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Create a datasheet view based on a table

2. Add the dataview as a tab on a navigation form (one that has other tabs showing other forms)

3. Display the navigation form and goto to the datsheet

4. Sort or filter the data sheet

5. Got to a different tab in the Nav control

6. You get a message saying; "do you want to save changes to the design..."

Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

Replies that would not be helpful include:
    - "Don't use navigation controls, they are new and we never needed them in Access 97"
    - "Don't use a datasheet - use a continuous form"
    - "Set the form to 'don't allow layout view'" (this would prevent the users from sorting and filter - so what's the point)

...I also can't set warnings off on opening the datasheet and turn it back on on closing it because the form has links to various other forms (though, now that I think about it I may just turn off warnings all together though I'd rather not).

Any other solutions you guys can come up with would be great!

Thanks,
    CList

Saturday, February 05, 2011 2:51 PM

All replies

• Any other solutions you guys can come up with would be great!

Does this occur if you create a accDE?

This sounds like a possible bug to me.

--
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    Pleasenospam_kallal@msn.com
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 5:17 PM
  • Any other solutions you guys can come up with would be great!

Does this occur if you create a accDE?

This sounds like a possible bug to me.

It does not do it when it's an .accde, so that could be a possible workaround for me. Not optimal as it's a rather large application (IMO) and still in the beta stages, so quick changes to the user's copy are frequent (though getting less).

It does seem like a bug as the behavior is different if the *exact same* datasheet is simply a subform of a regular form. There you can change the datasheet's sort and close the form with no message.

Cheers,
    CList

Saturday, February 05, 2011 7:01 PM
  • I also have the same problem as CList, although the problem occurs no matter what sort of form it is - single, continuous, datasheet.  Any sorting or filtering causes the user to be prompted to save design changes - NOT GOOD.  Making an accde is not an option at this stage of development.  Has anyone got an ideas about this?

Thanks,

MonkeyPie

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 2:32 AM
  • The source of the problem is that sorting the datasheet changes the form's design by changing the Order By Property.  When you switch tabs Access closes the form on the tab being switched away from.  It then asks if you want to save the changed form.  Access 2007 does not warn about changes to a datasheet form. 

Unfortunately, the popup occurs before the Unload and Close events so you cannot turn warnings off there.  However, you can do the following:
    1. Add "DoCmd.SetWarnings True" to the Open event of all of the forms on the Navigation control.
    2. Add "DoCmd.SetWarnings False" to the On Enter event of the tabs on the Navigaition control.

What will happen is when the Navigation form is opened the form on the default tab will turn warnings on.  When you switch tabs the On Enter event of the tab getting control is triggered before the form on the tab losing control is closed.  So the sequence on changing tabs will be:
    1. On Enter turns warnings off
    2. Form on tab losing control closes and saves changes.
    3. Open of the form on the tab getting control turns warnings on

The downside is that you are allowing the user to make changes to the datasheet form which are saved.

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 3:54 AM
  • Thanks saberman for your suggestion, but it won't work for my situation.

I DO want the user to be able to sort and filter a list on a form - 'continuous form', but I DO NOT want that filter or sort  to be saved.  As CList pointed out in his first post this problem only happens when a form is a subform of a navigation form.  That is, if you open the same form directly from the left navigation pane and sort or filter, and then close, you don't get prompted to save the changes, and the changes are not saved - exactly the behaviour I am after. 

It is shame this happens, as I think the whole navigation thing of Access 2010 is really wonderful.

MonkeyPie

Thursday, March 03, 2011 1:48 AM
  • MonkeyPie,

I do not have this problem with 2010.

Open the form in View mode - sort and filter - close the form, no problem. However, if you open Form in View mode - sort and filter the form - go into Form in Design View (without closing the form) than close the Form, it will prompt you to save the Form. The Sort and Filter will automatically save when you close the form in normal view.

So, not much of a problem. You still can force the Form not to save with "DoCmd.Close, Me.Form.Name, acSaveNo" with the OnClose Event of the form (of course not in Design View).

MS fix this bug in newer version? This did not happen in older version as I recalled.

I'm not sure what navigation form or whatever or a navigation control you're having this problem.

Thursday, March 03, 2011 3:58 AM
  • This only applied to Access 2010 , and, AFAIK, only applies when using DataSheets as subforms of Navigation Controls.

Steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Create a datasheet view based on a table

Any other solutions you guys can come up with would be great!

Thanks,
    CList

I think I know what's the problem.

Item 1. The view is base on the Table. You are modifying the Table View Sort Order. Therefore, it will prompt you to save the Table. You are not saving the Form.

Thursday, March 03, 2011 4:13 AM
  • I have reproduced the problem in 2010.

You cannot use DoCmd.Close in the OnClose event for two reasons:
    1. The msgbox popups up before the OnClose event of the form is triggered.
    2. Issuing

Thursday, March 03, 2011 4:20 AM
  • I thought that also but turning off the option to modify table layouts in datasheet view does not solve the problem -- or at least it didn't when I tried it.

The form is actually being modified -- not the table.  If you answer yes, close the Navigation form and look at the properties of the datasheet form you will see that the Order By property has been changed.

Thursday, March 03, 2011 4:22 AM
  • I thought that also but turning off the option to modify table layouts in datasheet view does not solve the problem -- or at least it didn't when I tried it.

The form is actually being modified -- not the table.  If you answer yes, close the Navigation form and look at the properties of the datasheet form you will see that the Order By property has been changed.

No, the prompt says "Do you want to save changes to the design of table 'myTable'?". Clearly it is the Table. Not the Form.

However, if the steps involve only Forms it does not prompt the message.

If you filter the Table and filter the Form, it will prompt you to save the Form and Table.

So, the conclusions below is still valid for Filtering records.

Replies that would not be helpful include:
    - "Don't use navigation controls, they are new and we never needed them in Access 97"
    - "Don't use a datasheet - use a continuous form"
    - "Set the form to 'don't allow layout view'" (this would prevent the users from sorting and filter - so what's the point)

New ideas, new problems. Bad idea to modify the Table Design for Users in Navigation Forms!

Thursday, March 03, 2011 4:40 AM
  • I think you misread the subject of the thread:
    "Stop the "do you want to save changes to design of the form message"

It does say "design of the form" doesn't it?

Are you creating a form with a view of the table in datasheet mode and putting that in the Navigation control or are you putting the table in the Navigation control?

Thursday, March 03, 2011 4:55 AM
  • I think you misread the subject of the thread:
    "Stop the "do you want to save changes to design of the form message"

It does say "design of the form" doesn't it?

Are you creating a form with a view of the table in datasheet mode and putting that in the Navigation control or are you putting the table in the Navigation control?

A table in the control. As long as it is a Form or even a Form in datasheet view, it would not prompt you to save.

The problem is if it is a Table.

I did not read the Header but the line...
    6. You get a message saying; "do you want to save changes to the design..."

Pretty vague, so I guess it was a Table.

• Edited by AccessVandal Thursday, March 03, 2011 5:07 AM typos
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 5:05 AM
  • I followed the ops instructions and created two forms -- one of which was in datasheet mode.  I then added the forms to a Navigation control.   If I change anything in the tab with the form in datasheet mode (size of column, sort order, etc.) and then clicked on the next tab the message about saving the changes to the form appeared.
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 6:22 AM
  • Hmmm...

If I have more time by tomorrow, I'll create another new sample to see if that the case. Nothing in this temp PC has any sample.

Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:39 AM
  • After an intensive work on the Nav control. Yes, it is a problem with the Nav control.

After many tries, the problem shows up. As long as you have a Nav Form, the Nav control will prompt you to save the form. This will happen even you have only one Form. Even you click one Tab on the control, it will prompt you to save.

This another bug needs to resolve besides other bugs in Access 2010.

Monday, March 07, 2011 1:20 AM
  • I have same problem.  FWIW here's some additional behavior I noticed.  I had a datasheet as a subform of a Navigation Form Subform.  The condition existed for several weeks of development without the message occurring.  Then when it did occur, it only went away when I deleted the sub form child of one of the main subforms of the Navigation form.  I didn't alter any code to bring it on, but it may have occurred when the data rules (programming) required the datasheet to be filtered.  So, the bug occurs even if a datasheet is a "grandchild" of a Navigation Form.  This behavior seems to conflict with C.List's statement about different behavior.
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Do you know if the Microsoft Team are aware of this problem? I think possibly not as the   "Microsoft Office 2010 FAQ/README" page , which I think is supposed to show any know "Issues"  with ACCESS 2010, is currently displaying as  "no known issues" .

Else, maybe there is a fix or work around available - please could someone provide  a link?

Thanks. a very desperate 'new' developer - David S 

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:49 AM
  • The source of the problem is that sorting the datasheet changes the form's design by changing the Order By Property.  When you switch tabs Access closes the form on the tab being switched away from.  It then asks if you want to save the changed form.  Access 2007 does not warn about changes to a datasheet form. 

Unfortunately, the popup occurs before the Unload and Close events so you cannot turn warnings off there.  However, you can do the following:
    1. Add "DoCmd.SetWarnings True" to the Open event of all of the forms on the Navigation control.
    2. Add "DoCmd.SetWarnings False" to the On Enter event of the tabs on the Navigaition control.

What will happen is when the Navigation form is opened the form on the default tab will turn warnings on.  When you switch tabs the On Enter event of the tab getting control is triggered before the form on the tab losing control is closed.  So the sequence on changing tabs will be:
    1. On Enter turns warnings off
    2. Form on tab losing control closes and saves changes.
    3. Open of the form on the tab getting control turns warnings on

The downside is that you are allowing the user to make changes to the datasheet form which are saved.

From what I have been able to read the "Do you want to save" message is a bug with the Navigation Forms that have datasheets as subforms.   I've tried numerous attempts at a solution over the past week with turning on an off warnings and different times and trying to modify the filters with vba.   I ended up realizing today that I needed to modify the filter and order by on the on load event of the datasheet subform.   This is what I've done using what saberman had posted with a few additions.

All of my form On Load events have the warnings set to True

Private Sub Form_Load()
            DoCmd.SetWarnings True
        End Sub

In addition to setting warnings to true on the On Load events on the datasheet subforms I've also set the default filter and order by parameters via VBA so my On Load events for these forms would look like this. 

Private Sub Form_Load()
            DoCmd.SetWarnings True
            Me.OrderBy = ""
            Me.OrderByOn = True
            Me.Filter = ""
            Me.FilterOn = False
       End Sub

All of the On Enter events of the Navigation Form tabs have the warnings set to False

Private Sub Navigation_Service_Main_Enter()
            DoCmd.SetWarnings False
        End Sub

My idea with this is that since I've turned off the warnings when a tab is clicked any changes that a user has made via a filter or sort will be saved without the "Do you want to save" prompt. I need to set the filter and order by parameters back to what I want basically undoing what I couldn't prevent being saved.  Since my application is designed to be used at runtime by multiple people I needed to have it open consistently every time.  So far it seems to work!

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 4:05 AM
  • This problem also seems to affect multiple users of the database.  When a second user signs on, the system says the second user cannot make changes because the database is being designed by another user! That makes the navigation tool totally unworkable in a multi-user environment.  Did I miss somthing?  I have been design Access databases for multi-users for years so this is very startling.
    Tuesday, July 03, 2012 1:42 PM
  • I have the same exact issue, but unfortunately toggeling the warnings didn't work for me. The save message still appeared, even with wiring up the code to other form events.

I have a nav form, grandchild subform in datasheet view. It's the ONLY form that is throwing the 'do you want to save?' message. I have two other nav tabs, each with a grandchild subform: one a pivot table, and the other a continuous form. If I change the datasheet subform to something else, the message doesn't pop up when I select a different tab. I tried a BUNCH of different things to test this, including binding the datasheet form row source a table (no order by, etc), then to a query to the table, and row sourced a SQL statement directly. I made sure all the properties matched the other two tabs' subforms. The ONLY thing that made a difference was changing the view from datasheet.  

Has anyone found anything else?  I've searched for a few hours, and I have yet to find any acknowledgement of this obvious bug and any workaround (besides changing form view).

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:11 AM
  • I had this problem, though not in a navigation form -- in a regular single form type subform where I made numerous changes to label captions and other properties in code.  There is no need to save them, since they are done over every time the main form is opened.  I worked around this problem by putting a Close button on the main form, with the DoCmd.SetWarnings False command before the DoCmd.Close command.  That works fine -- no more annoying pop-up asking me to save the form every time I close it.

Helen Feddema

• Proposed as answer by Frank Hell Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:14 PM
    Wednesday, August 07, 2013 9:44 PM
  • welcome to the forum! good to see you here.

peter n roth - http://PNR1.com, Maybe some useful stuff

Saturday, August 10, 2013 2:58 AM
  • Not sure if this has been solved.

A workaround to this problem would be to change your datasheet form property to open as a Pop Up, Modal form.  That way it will remain on top and keep focus on you navigational form.  Then change the On Click event for the navigational button to open your datasheet.

You should then be able to click on the navigational button, the datasheet will open, filter your datasheet, close datasheet, and not be asked to save design changes.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 4:55 PM