none
File won't open in Word Startup Folder

Question

• I have strange issue with a file in Word 10's startup folder. There are two files in the startup folder that add menu items. Both worked fine in the past.

Recently, one of the files does not open and create the menu item. There are no error messages.

The file IS in the startup folder. The macros in the file work, if I open the file manually, the menu item loads and everything is fine.

The second file in the Startup folder, which also adds some different menu items works fine.

I've tried deleting the file and replacing it with the original copy, same result.

I've tried rebooting.

No new programs installed.

Windows 7

I'm mystified.

Friday, January 11, 2013 9:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Mark

I've never heard of anything like this before, but then again, this isn't really a "developer" topic in the strictest sense of the term. You might have better luck asking this in a forum that targets configuration (TechNet) or end-user (Community). I can move the question to the former, but not to the latter.

The one thing that does occur to me, given that only this one user is experiencing issues, is that either

1) The Normal.dotm template is damaged. Try renaming it to Normal.dotm.OLD so that Word generates a new copy and see if that makes a difference.

OR

2) The user profile is damaged. See if creating a new profile for the user makes a difference.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark

What is the file's extension: docx, docm, dotx, dotm ?

Could you please describe the "menu items" in more detail? How is it created? Does it "share" anything with any other menu?

Saturday, January 12, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

.dotm file

It creates a ribbon item containing several buttons. No interaction with other ribbon items.

Public Sub OnRibbonLoad(ribbon As IRibbonUI)

Set gobjRibbon = ribbon
    End Sub

This is a problem on one computer only. I have had this running for years with multiple users, it always worked fine. It's just stopped working on this one user's computer only.   

Thanks,

Mark Cramer

Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:55 PM
  • Hi Mark

I've never heard of anything like this before, but then again, this isn't really a "developer" topic in the strictest sense of the term. You might have better luck asking this in a forum that targets configuration (TechNet) or end-user (Community). I can move the question to the former, but not to the latter.

The one thing that does occur to me, given that only this one user is experiencing issues, is that either

1) The Normal.dotm template is damaged. Try renaming it to Normal.dotm.OLD so that Word generates a new copy and see if that makes a difference.

OR

2) The user profile is damaged. See if creating a new profile for the user makes a difference.

Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Thanks, I'll have them try that and will post it in the Community forum

Mark Cramer

Saturday, January 12, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I will mark Cindy's reply as answer. Please feel free to unmark it if you don't think so.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, January 14, 2013 4:51 AM