none
Workflow does not start automatically on create item (yet another time)

Question

• The topic has been discussed broadly throughout different forums, but I didn't find the solution to my issue yet and hope you can help me out with ideas to sidestep the difficulties created by Microsoft.

I have one list 1 in Site Collection A, and one list 2 in Site Collection B (PWA site collection). I need to copy an item from list 1 to list 2 with some values. I use a "Call http web service" action to accomplish that as I need to copy informatin cross site collections.

The "Call webservice" is in an App Step, because the user creating an item in list 1 does not have permissions on list 2. Thus, my item is created "by workflow" (not "by System Account") in list 2. Now I need a second workflow to start on list 2 which will create a project in Project Server.

As I am working across 2 site collections, I can not use a SharePoint 2010 workflow with impersonation step for list 1 as the "Call a webservice" action is not available for SP2010 workflows and "Copy item" only works in the same site.

In Nintex I can impersonate the web service call - is this also somehow possible for SPD2013 workflows? Or is there any other possibility to get over this silly restriction of workflows not starting automatically on System account created items? Someway perhaps to tweak the App Step in impersonating with another user account?

Any help appreciated!

I really can't understand, that this common requirement is still not solved by Microsoft :-(  I found more threads on the topic than I can count, so this seems to happen quite often... at least they should finally offer a proper way of doing some kind of impersonation with the calls so we have a chance to change the creating user account.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:45 AM

Answers

• In addition, as workflow1 still in progess, the workflow2 will not start. So please add the "Pause 5 minutes" action after workflow1 and then workflow2 will start.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Dats Luo

Monday, September 01, 2014 10:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As I understand, you would like to use workflow to copy list items cross site collection.

So far it is not supported with OOB workflow option, here is an codeplex workaround:

https://spdactivities.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Copy%20List%20Item%20Extended%20Activity

Please check if it can be help.

Regards,

Rebecca Tu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 15, 2014 7:45 AM
  • Hi Rebecca,

thanks for you answer. The copy list item is already implemented and working - the other workflow is not triggered and this is my current issue. I'm afraid the Codeplex workaround is not an option as it also uses the System Account to create the items in the other list, thus I have the same problem as with my REST Call.

Friday, August 15, 2014 9:10 AM
  • Hello,

This is a quick note to let you know that we are performing research on this issue.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Rebecca Tu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 18, 2014 1:38 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

It seems the copy list item works well and the workflow didn't start. Would you please try to re-create the workflow and please let me know the detailed information about the workflow.

Thanks,

Dats Luo

Thursday, August 21, 2014 10:44 AM
  • Hi,

the recreation does not change the issue. Still, my copy list item creates the item with the System Account and thus, my other workflow is not starting.

Go live of this large system should be next week, but without the workflow in place we need to shift the date as it seems.

What details do you need on the workflow? I added some screenshots of the workflow configuration, please let me know if you need anything else:

Thursday, August 21, 2014 11:22 AM
  • I managed to set permissions so that the first workflow is now run in the user context (removed the "App step"). So my create liste item rest call is now being done in the user context.

The new item in my second list is now showing as "Created by" the following entry "by Workflow on behalf of <User>".

Checking the item properties via powershell I get as "CreatedBy" the user account. Still, my workflow on the second list is not triggered.

I simplified the workflow, just logging "Hello World" and setting it to "Start on item create" - but though I don't use a system account anymore, the workflow is not starting.

Friday, August 22, 2014 9:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your detailed information. I will do more tests and research and will provide feedback soon.

Thanks,

Dats Luo

Monday, August 25, 2014 10:10 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

I understand the first worflow works well for the user cnontext. However, the second workflow did't start. Please use the admin account to chck if the workflow will start.

Thanks,

Dats Luo

Monday, September 01, 2014 7:06 AM
  • In addition, as workflow1 still in progess, the workflow2 will not start. So please add the "Pause 5 minutes" action after workflow1 and then workflow2 will start.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Dats Luo

Monday, September 01, 2014 10:10 AM