none
Shared-Addin deployment for 64bit outlook

Question

• Hi 

I have created shared-addin of outlook in c# .net.
    I have also created installer for the same from setup and deployment project.
    My installer is working properly for 32bit outlook.
    To create installer for 64bit outlook , I compiled shared-addin project with 
    'Any CPU' option and then added primary output to setup and deployment project 
    (now later has target platform x64).
    Installer I got after build was not able to work for 64bit Outlook (Addin was not loaded).
    What is it I need to take care of in case of 64bit addin installation ?
    Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Suraj

Suraj

Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you registering the addin for your x64 installation the same way you would for your x86 installer? You do have a separate x64 installer?

Are you shimming your shared addin? If not you really should shim it. If you are, the ManagedAggregator project is managed code and should be compiled for Any, the shim is unmanaged C++ and you need separate projects and compilations for x86 and x64.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "Suraj Shaha" <=?utf-8?B?U3VyYWogU2hhaGE=?=> wrote in message news:7e90c6d1-b34a-4b80-bfbb-1c641d2a881c...

Hi 

I have created shared-addin of outlook in c# ..net.
    I have also created installer for the same from setup and deployment project.
    My installer is working properly for 32bit outlook.
    To create installer for 64bit outlook , I compiled shared-addin project with 
    'Any CPU' option and then added primary output to setup and deployment project 
    (now later has target platform x64).
    Installer I got after build was not able to work for 64bit Outlook (Addin was not loaded).
    What is it I need to take care of in case of 64bit addin installation ?
    Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Suraj

Suraj

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:08 PM
  • you have to set bitness of your installer project to proper value. So you need 2 installer projects - 32 and 64 bit.
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Hi,

Yes I have seperate x64 bit installer.
    I have compiled shared addin on 32bit Windows with 'Any CPU' 
    build configuration ; and setup and deployment project with
    target platform set to x64 in properties. 
    But on installation Addin was not loaded.

In order to create 64bit installer ,
    does we need to compile shared addin source code on 64bit Windows ?

Regards

Suraj

Suraj

Friday, January 11, 2013 8:19 AM
  • if you have a project that compiles to native code (c++) then yes, its bitness must also match target platform
    Friday, January 11, 2013 8:52 AM
  • Shared addin source code in C# or VB.NET can be compiled for Any processor on either x86 or x64 Windows. That doesn't make a difference.

You might want to use Fusion logging to see what's not loading and why. Fusion is the managed code loader. See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsod/archive/2008/04/22/troubleshooting-com-add-in-load-failures.aspx for information on setting up and using Fusion logging.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "Suraj Shaha" <=?utf-8?B?U3VyYWogU2hhaGE=?=> wrote in message news:3cdf4da0-167a-4746-957a-8843d142f793...

Hi,

Yes I have seperate x64 bit installer.
    I have compiled shared addin on 32bit Windows with 'Any CPU' 
    build configuration ; and setup and deployment project with
    target platform set to x64 in properties. 
    But on installation Addin was not loaded.

In order to create 64bit installer ,
    does we need to compile shared addin source code on 64bit Windows ?

Regards

Suraj

Suraj

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, January 11, 2013 3:55 PM
  • try to determine if registry entries are properly added on 64 bit machine. Do you see entry for your add-in in outlook's add-ins window?
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Is the installer project not registering the SHIM and thus it needs to be 64bit? That is the SHIM needs to be compiled to 64bits

Just a guess since I am about to embark on a similar journey updating our VS2005 Shim and shared add-in to be able to use in 64 bit Office.

If you have resolved this issue already please post the solution here

Thank you

• Edited by brandurs Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:28 AM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:50 AM