none
Import Visio Entity Relationship Diagram into Access

Question

• Created a simple ERD model with lots of tables in Visio 2010 and would like to avoid retyping the structure into Access 2010.  Are there any tools or shortcuts that can help me out?  Thanks 
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:51 PM

Answers

• There is no "forward" engineering feature in Visio. Back in the 2003 version this feature was available – truly fantastic for re-creating databases between different systems.

However, there are few SQL server "forward" engineering add-ins. I not tested any of them such as this one:

http://forwardengineer.codeplex.com/documentation

In theory, you  would generate the scripts, use SQL server studio tools (even the free ones) to create the SQL server database. You then import the SQL database into MS Access.

So while Visio can re-verse engineer a number of database systems (even ODBC), the "forward" feature does not exist at this point in time except via 3rd party add-ins and I don't have experience with any of them.

To my knowledge the "add-ins" are for SQL server, not Access.

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

• Marked as answer by aww91 Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:19 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:18 PM

All replies

• I don't have Acc2010, but it sounds like you want to import the relationship structure.  I think the best you will be able to do is to create an image file of the relationship diagram in Visio and import this image file.   The image could at least serve as a reference how your relationship structure should look.   I can't imagine you could create a relationship structure in Access 2010 from a Visio relationship diagram -- can you?

Rich P

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:36 PM
  • There is no "forward" engineering feature in Visio. Back in the 2003 version this feature was available – truly fantastic for re-creating databases between different systems.

However, there are few SQL server "forward" engineering add-ins. I not tested any of them such as this one:

http://forwardengineer.codeplex.com/documentation

In theory, you  would generate the scripts, use SQL server studio tools (even the free ones) to create the SQL server database. You then import the SQL database into MS Access.

So while Visio can re-verse engineer a number of database systems (even ODBC), the "forward" feature does not exist at this point in time except via 3rd party add-ins and I don't have experience with any of them.

To my knowledge the "add-ins" are for SQL server, not Access.

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

• Marked as answer by aww91 Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:19 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:18 PM
  • Thank you.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:19 PM