Can't Select Multiple Objects in Word 2010

Question

• I'm using Office 2010 Professional Plus 64-bit.  I can't select multiple objects in Word 2010 either by shift-clicking, control-clicking, rubber-banding or using control-a in either the main work area or in the selection pane.  There's no way to group objects or to make simultaneous canges to multiple objects.

Is this a bug or did Microsoft Office developers decide that people won't want to handle more than one object at a time in the future? Maybe that we are de-evolving back to monkeys or something?

Monday, October 04, 2010 1:44 PM

All replies

• Are you changing the Selection mode to Select Objects in the Editing section of the Home tab of the ribbon?

In Office ProPlus 32-bit, multiple objects can then be selected by using Shift or Ctrl and left click or by Left Click and drag

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"UrDaddie" wrote in message news:796feaad-0d94-4da6-bd72-e23942cbfc47@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I'm using Office 2010 Professional Plus 64-bit.  I can't select multiple objects in Word 2010 either by shift-clicking, control-clicking, rubber-banding or using control-a in either the main work area or in the selection pane.  There's no way to group objects or to make simultaneous canges to multiple objects.

Is this a bug or did Microsoft Office developers decide that people won't want to handle more than one object at a time in the future? Maybe that we are de-evolving back to monkeys or something?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Monday, October 04, 2010 9:21 PM
  • Hi UrDaddie

In addition to what Doug says, you also need to tell us what kind of objects are involved, and if you're in Compatibility Mode. Both of these things affect how Word behaves in the graphics interface.

BTW, the better place to ask end-user questions is the "Answers" site:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/Office

the MSDN forums target Developer (programming) questions. You'll find many more people who can help you with this kind of question on Answers :-)

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 12:53 PM
  • Hi UrDaddie,

How is this issue going on in your side? Could you please let me know if you have solved the problem?

Best Regards,
    Amy Li
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 11, 2010 1:54 AM
  • Hi Ami

Best to change the question type to a comment if there's no clear answer... :-)

Regards

Monday, October 11, 2010 7:21 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

Thank you for your suggestion. But we are told not to do so, although I also think it's better to change the type.

Best Regards,
    Amy Li
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 11, 2010 7:30 AM
  • We should probably take this off-line :-) Remove the spaces in the following email address to reach me:

cindy meister AT swissonline DOT ch

Monday, October 11, 2010 7:32 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

I know, thank you for the information.

Best Regards,
    Amy Li

Monday, October 11, 2010 7:45 AM
  • You can select multiple objects (by dragging a rectangle over them) in Word 2010 by creating these objects in a drawing canvas. You can create one by selecting INSERT ribbon and then clicking on shapes and you can find the option at the bottom of the menu. Alternatively, if you want that drawing canvas should be always creating when you insert drawing objects, then you can go to Word options by select FILE ribbon. In the options dialog, click on ADVANCED option and then CHECK the "Automatically create drawing canvas when inserting AutoShapes" option in EDITING OPTIONS group.

Hope that your please is solved. Please report it immediately.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 2:35 AM
  • Hi Cindy

Just stumbled across this thread with same issue - selecting multiple objects in Word 2010 and -thought not normally given to ranting and raving ! - am so fed up with Microsoft for what they have done to Drawing Tools since Word 2000.  It used to work fine - no Drawing Canvas - no problems selecting Text and Drawing objects etc etc -  (and I used to use it a lot) - now I have to use it sparingly since it makes see red!  It is sooooo horrible.

As a Word MVP don't you feel the same?

Yours.

Jack

Saturday, September 24, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Hi Jack

I'm more a data than a graphics oriented person, so I perhaps don't feel the pain with this particular feature as much as you do. My "pet peeve" is mail merge, which was better in Word Perfect for DOS than it's ever been in Word. It's actually one of the things that got me into development :-)

I have Word 2010, but spend most of my time, still, in Word 2007. I know the graphics stuff there is a PITA because it tries to accomodate the old graphics engine as well as the new one. I thought most of the old one was thrown out in the UI in 2010 - but the object model still uses the old one... And that is a real mess, because it means the graphics don't work the same in Word as in Excel and PowerPoint.

OTOH, if they had switched it would break old code. So I guess it's a question of which makes the most customers angry <sigh>. The real problem IMO was trying to re-use the old object model rather than extending it for the new capability.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Hi Cindy

What a lovely reply (I expected that you might get a bit defensive :-)).

Have a nice day.

Regards.

Jack

Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:46 PM
  • The following is a macro that will group multiple shape objects in Word 2010. To use, mark the part of the document containing the shapes and run the macro.

Note the 1 second pause which seems to be necessary for Word to display the grouping before the message box is displayed.

Sub GroupShapes()
    Dim aRange As Range
    Dim timeStart
      Set aRange = Selection.Range
      If aRange.ShapeRange.Count < 2 Then
        MsgBox "ERROR: Need 2 or more shapes to group"
        Exit Sub
      End If
      On Error GoTo Gerr2
      aRange.ShapeRange.Group
      timeStart = Timer
      Do While Timer < timeStart + 1 ' pause necessary to allow Word to group and display
        DoEvents
      Loop
      If MsgBox("Do you want to group these shapes?" & vbCr & vbCr & _
                 "Note: inline shapes are not included", vbYesNo) = vbNo Then
         aRange.ShapeRange.Ungroup
      End If
      On Error GoTo 0
      Exit Sub
    Gerr2:
      MsgBox "Cannot group this selection"
      On Error GoTo 0
    End Sub

• Proposed as answer by KenMorison Saturday, October 08, 2011 8:43 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by KenMorison Saturday, October 08, 2011 8:43 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:19 PM
  • Interesting conversation which I am new to.  It seems to me that it is nothing to do with the object model.  I wrote a macro in Excel 2010 and copied it to Word 2010.  I had to change activesheet to activedocument but nothing else.  As stated in the code, I wrote the macro, assigned it to a shortcut key, then insert a new rectangle to surround the objects I want to select and run the macro via the shortcut.

If I can do this in VBA, Microsoft can implement it in word 2010. (I am just an amateur.)  My solution is not the most elegant but it shows that it can be done in Word 2010.

By the way, in doing this I found that if you name an object in Word VBA (e.g., "Rect1"), then copy it in Word, MS does not assign it a new unique name!!

Sub selectobjects()

' Assign this macro to a Word keyboard shortcut, via File, Options, Customize Ribbon, Keyboard shortcuts, Categories = Macros, etc

' Insert a rectangle around the objects you want to select (as you would have with the Select Objects cursor)

' The run this macro by shortcut key from your document.

' Not yet tested when added to normal.dotm

Dim ShapeItems() As Variant   ' must be variant with Option Base 0.  First index is 0
    Dim icount As Integer, ishape As Integer
    icount = 0
    ishape = 0
    iobj = ActiveDocument.Shapes.Count   ' find the last object number corresponding to the selection rectangle just added
    ActiveDocument.Shapes(iobj).Select
    leftx = ActiveDocument.Shapes(iobj).Left  ' find corners
    topy = ActiveDocument.Shapes(iobj).Top
    rightx = leftx + ActiveDocument.Shapes(iobj).Width
    bottomy = topy + ActiveDocument.Shapes(iobj).Height

For Each myshape In ActiveDocument.Shapes
        ishape = ishape + 1   ' count of all shapes
        If myshape.Left > leftx And myshape.Top > topy And myshape.Left + myshape.Width < rightx And myshape.Top + myshape.Height < bottomy Then
            ReDim Preserve ShapeItems(icount)
            ShapeItems(icount) = ishape
            icount = icount + 1   ' count of collected shapes
        End If
    Next
    Selection.Delete  ' delete the initial rectangle
    ActiveDocument.Shapes.Range(ShapeItems).Select   ' multiple select all objects inside the rectangle
    End Sub

• Edited by KenMorison Saturday, October 08, 2011 8:58 PM
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Cindy,

> My "pet peeve" is mail merge, which was better
    > in Word Perfect for DOS than it's ever been in Word.

I couldn't agree more!
    Mail merge in WordPerfect for DOS was a dream. 

You could do just about anything with only 70 merge commands and 70 programming commands;  and they all went into the document itself.  It was easy to merge into a table in a document that had other boilerplate text.

Now, we have - what? - 1800 commands? - and even using IF in the user-interface is a pain.

Those were the days - sadly long gone!

Geoff

Monday, October 10, 2011 11:23 PM
  • I have two screenshots inserted into a Word 2010 document, and I want to group them together. CTRL-click does not work as the Help section indicates. Why would the Help section give us false information? If I choose Select Objects from the Editing secion of the Home tab, I cannot select either of the objects. It does not work for Inserted Pictures either.

I was about to try saving my document as a Word97-2003 document, but noticed it already was saved that way. Therefore, I saved it as a docx, but multiple selection still did not work. Neither did using the Selection Pane or Select Objects.

• Edited by PHNDRacket Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:34 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Had the same problem.  Couldn't "lasso" select.  Saved document as Word 97-2003 format.  Then was able to "lasso" select.

So I guess this doesn't work in Word 2010 format...

• Proposed as answer by Wamer_ca Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Wamer_ca Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:49 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:37 PM
  • Notice how everyone fails to recognize how idiotic it is that you cannot simply select all the objects and copy and paste...
    Monday, January 30, 2012 10:47 PM
  •  

I have had this same problem off and on since moving to Office 2010 and I think I've found a solution.

I would take a screen shot and then want to add arrows or shapes to highlight specific areas. I wanted to group the shapes and screen shot together so that they would be perfectly aligned as the document evolved.

The problem was that I could not select all of the objects at the same time. The most frustrating part was that sometimes this would work and sometimes it would not. I was not sure what the reason was.

Well, I got it to work!

The default text wrapping style is “In Line with Text” when you paste the screen shot. Changing this to be “In front of Text” or “In Line with Text” allowed all of the objects (screen shot and shapes) to be selected and grouped together.

You can find the text wrapping feature by right clicking on the object and selecting “Format Object”. It is under the “Layout” menu.

I think the problem is when there is a difference between the text wrapping options for the different objects this prevents them from being selected together. Changing this is what fixed the problem for me.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:49 PM