none
cannot connect to Access 2003 database in Windows 7

Question

• I'm a college student taking database related programming courses.  The dual-boot computers at school boot Windows XP for these classes because the IT & CIS people there can't figure this problem out either.  Basically, I can't do any of my classwork on a Windows 7 computer even when running "XP mode".

Under Windows XP, I'm able to compile and run Java programs using the following string to connect to a local Access 2003 or Access 2007 database (the example is for a 2003 file, "ACCESS_DB_FILE .mdb", on my desktop):

"jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)};DBQ=C:/DOCUME~1/tom/Desktop/ACCESS_DB_FILE.mdb"

I needed a new computer but was unable to purchase one with Windows XP because Microsoft doesn't sell it anymore.  So I purchased one that runs Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit).  The connection string above no longer works and I CANNOT find a substitute anywhere ... and I've spent many hours searching on the web.  I decided to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate so that I could run "XP mode", assuming that I could use the old string in that environment.  I spent many hours setting that up and reinstalling Access inside the VM, but I still get the same error when trying to connect to the database.  This is the error:

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

but there are no instructions on what to do once the program launches.  I clicked Help and a useless (from my stand point) pop-up came up and asked me to rate it.  POOR!  Doesn't help at all.  It also asked if I wanted to post a comment, so I said clicked "yes" and wrote most of this stuff you're reading now, but the email (to sqldocfb@microsoft.com) was rejected by the Microsoft servers. ("The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.4.1 sqldocfb@microsoft.com: Recipient address rejected: Access Denied (state 13)").

Hence I'm posting on this forum.  I can't imagine I am the only student with an issue like this.  I'm completely unable to use my new computer for school -- an almost complete waste of $800.

Thank you.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 11:56 PM

All replies