none
How can I print bar codes on my mailing labels

Question

• Hi,

My experience level:

I'm working with another person who does not work how to write VBA code.  I have about 1 1/2 years experience with Access and now how to write VBA code.  The software is running on XP through W8 and Access 2003 through 2013. 

Background:

I would like to print a 3 of 9 bar code on a mailing label the software produces.  I am using both laser printers and ink jet printers.  I know that printer and scanner work because I can use the font in Word Pad, print out a test page, and my bar code scanner read it fine.  However, when I print the mailing labels in Access, the bar code scanner can not read the bar codes.  To the best of the knowledge, the only difference between the two barcodes is one is printed using Wordpad (and works) and the other is printed from MS Access and does not work.

I read this one article (free barcode font - http://www.barcodesinc.com/free-barcode-font/ )which stated "Microsoft Word may adjust the character spacing and make the barcode unreadable. You may have more luck with Wordpad".  Which is why I tried Wordpad.  My concern is that MS Access does something like this.

Question:

What do I need to do so that I can print 3 of 9 bar codes on mailing labels (1 x 2 5/8 in.  Avery 5160) and have them readable by my bar code scanner?

Thanks for your help.

Dennis Solis

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:29 PM

Answers

• I should have waited a bit longer.  I worked on this issued for about three hours and then posted my question.   Then after playing with it for another 1/2, I found the answer. 

In report design view, I defined the "Font Weight" as Normal.  I fixed my issue by:

1.  Changing the Font Weight should be set to Semi-Bold.

2.  The Font Weight "Light" appears to work even better.

3.  I will play with the size and weight to maximize readability.

Thanks.

Dennis Solis

• Marked as answer by DenSolis Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:34 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:34 PM