none
MSProj 2010 Bug(s): Can't indent tasks, when inserting a task, MSProj changes all the predecessors unexpectedly

Question

• Prob1:  I have a series of tasks.  I insert a new task before them all.  I highlight all the tasks below and try to INDENT them all.  I get an hour glass, but they do not indent.   Note:  This is only happening when I use external predecessors.  It works fine for internal predecessors.

Prob2:  I have a series of tasks linked to external predecessors.  I insert a new task before them all, and copy-paste an external predecessor (from another project file I have opened up).  As soon as I paste it, all the other external predecessors below this new task increment by 1 (the task # changes by +1).

Too many freaky things happening to trust this software imho.

Friday, March 04, 2011 3:20 PM

Answers

• dre9,

Pardon me for jumping in. The description of how you are establishing external links for your problem 2 may give a clue of what is going wrong. Pasting links is never a good idea, it duplicates the existing link structure and can quickly lead to file corruption and/or bloat. So first of all here is one of the best ways to set up external links between projects, aside from manually entering the path data into the Predecessor field.

First, create a master file and insert all projects between which you want to create task links. In the master either use alternate select and link, (i.e. select the two tasks and hit the link button), or link dragging to create the links between tasks in the subprojects. By utilizing flag fields and simple filters you can easily get tasks in different subprojects together in the view so link dragging is easy and convenient. By link dragging I mean place your mouse over the Gantt Bar (predecessor task) and drag it to the beginning of the Gantt Bar of the successor task. If you need to add lead or lag you can easily do that manually in the Predecessor field after the link is set up.

Once all the cross-project links are created, save each subproject using Save As to the same filename. When all subprojects have been saved you can delete the master, you don't need it anymore, it was only created for convenience.

With regard to your first problem, I set up two test files in Project 2010 - 5 tasks in each. I then used the method described above and linked the 5 tasks in one file to the 5 tasks in the other file. I then added a new task immediately above the 5 linked tasks and indented the 5 tasks below the new task. Everything indented and no hourglass

If the linking method described above doesn't take care of your problem, then we need more info on your file structure. And just for reference, I assume you are not trying to create external (or internal) links on summary lines. Doing so can really mess things up.

As far as the task ID incrementing when each external link is added I assume you are aware that external linked tasks show up as ghost tasks in a file. Each of these ghost tasks "occupies" a task ID. This will reverberate across each project as new external links are added.

Hope this helps,

John

Saturday, March 05, 2011 3:10 AM

All replies

• Hello dre9,

As for your Prob1 - the new task you are inserting is it a external task that you are trying to link or some internal new task ?

Probe 2 - why are you copy pasting external task ? Are you trying to link it to any of the tasks ? Please specify the steps you are following and what exactly you are looking for, then we can suggest an approach :)

Sapna S
    Friday, March 04, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Prob1:  I am simply inserting a new internal task before five other tasks that have predecessors to external tasks.  If I remove the external linkages from the other five tasks below it, then the problem goes away.

Prob2:  I had started a fresh clean project, created all new internal tasks with no dates specified, and instead of re-linking each task one by one to an external task (which requires opening up a sub-project, finding the external task to link to, and creating the link), I just copy the original link from another saved project, and paste it into the Predecessor column of that specific task.  It works fine doing this, until I insert a new internal task just before all the tasks I have linked, and do the same "copy-paste" of an external link, that the tasks below it now have their external task dependencies increment by one row.

It looks like the process of inserting a new task screws things up.  If they already exist, then things work fine.

Friday, March 04, 2011 6:46 PM
  • dre9,

Pardon me for jumping in. The description of how you are establishing external links for your problem 2 may give a clue of what is going wrong. Pasting links is never a good idea, it duplicates the existing link structure and can quickly lead to file corruption and/or bloat. So first of all here is one of the best ways to set up external links between projects, aside from manually entering the path data into the Predecessor field.

First, create a master file and insert all projects between which you want to create task links. In the master either use alternate select and link, (i.e. select the two tasks and hit the link button), or link dragging to create the links between tasks in the subprojects. By utilizing flag fields and simple filters you can easily get tasks in different subprojects together in the view so link dragging is easy and convenient. By link dragging I mean place your mouse over the Gantt Bar (predecessor task) and drag it to the beginning of the Gantt Bar of the successor task. If you need to add lead or lag you can easily do that manually in the Predecessor field after the link is set up.

Once all the cross-project links are created, save each subproject using Save As to the same filename. When all subprojects have been saved you can delete the master, you don't need it anymore, it was only created for convenience.

With regard to your first problem, I set up two test files in Project 2010 - 5 tasks in each. I then used the method described above and linked the 5 tasks in one file to the 5 tasks in the other file. I then added a new task immediately above the 5 linked tasks and indented the 5 tasks below the new task. Everything indented and no hourglass

If the linking method described above doesn't take care of your problem, then we need more info on your file structure. And just for reference, I assume you are not trying to create external (or internal) links on summary lines. Doing so can really mess things up.

As far as the task ID incrementing when each external link is added I assume you are aware that external linked tasks show up as ghost tasks in a file. Each of these ghost tasks "occupies" a task ID. This will reverberate across each project as new external links are added.

Hope this helps,

John

Saturday, March 05, 2011 3:10 AM