none
Access 2010 - accde doesn't execute

Question

• I've converted an Access 2000 system  to Access 2010.  Consists of 3 programs  - 2 of which work fine as executables.  The main program did work fine as an executable (accde) until about a week ago.  Now when I save it as an accde, and then attempt to run the program, it just sits and stares back at me.  Works just great as an accdb, but that's not what I want to install in a client's office.

Has anyone else run into this?  and what did you do about it?  Any other ideas?

thank you,  Sandi angwin

Sangwin

Sunday, May 15, 2011 9:40 PM

Answers

• Well, the problem is solved - not on my machine though.

Uploaded all the program DB's this AM to clients server, where there is a PC dedicated to me.  They had just installed a full copy of Access 2010 for me to work with and also for the owner to have access to the backend DB's.  Created the accde and it worked fine. 

Which means I need to refresh my local copy of MSAccess.  Also means I can sleep for the next couple nights before heading from way too hot Florida (mid to high 90's locally) to moderate Monterey Bay.  Packing winter clothes.

Thanks to all for your interest, and help.

Sandi

Sangwin
    • Marked as answer by Sangwin Monday, May 23, 2011 4:03 PM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have not understood your problem clearly.

Could you describe your problem in detail?

Where do you put the 3 programs?

What do these 3 programs work for?

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Hello Sangwin,

Have you solved your problem?

Maybe when you save it you forget to do something.

The correct steps are

1. In Office Access 2007, open the database which you want to save as .accde.

2. Then on the Database Tools tab, in the Database Tools group, click Make ACCDE.

3. If necessary, in the File Name text box, rename the file.

4. Click Save to convert the Access database to an ACCDE file.

5. Open the ACCDE file and confirm that the conversion was successful.

You can delete the main program in your database, then try those steps again to convert it.Run your program again.

Hope this can help you.

Friday, May 20, 2011 9:40 AM
  • Please confirm that you are testing the accde database on the same machine it was compiled on.  If not, what OS does each machine have?
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 5:45 AM
  • 1.  Had successfully run the accde previously.  Made a couple minor changes to the source program, created the new accde, and while it displays the logon screen for user name & password, once those have been entered it just sits there and obviously is not reacting to the exit event off either the name or the password entry.  It should check first the existence of the name in the user file, and then validate the password, before displaying the Main Menu.

2.  There are 2 other programs in the system that run very nicely as accde files.  As did the main program up until a week or so ago.

3.  All 3 programs run perfectly in the source mode (accdb)

4.  Win 7 is on both my machines.  And the client has updated all of their PC's and now are running Win 7.

4.  All client PC's will be running under Access 2010 runtime,  I'm using runtime on my second PC for testing purposes and it looks good right now.

5.  If I can't get it running as an accde, just the fact that the users will be on runtime only, means that if it's an accdb, it won't be that critical.   Still won't be able to see anything other than the login, menus and departmental forms.

6.  Was wondering if there is a size limitation in 2010, the main program is over 30mb in its accde format.  There did used to be some size limitations of 32 mb way back when in the 90's with some of th Office products.  Never ran into that in Access1995, 1997, or 2000 (and 1995 really had some problems after it was released.)  And can't get it any smaller - but hey - there's always something in this business.

Thanks for the interest - both of you.

Sandi

Sangwin
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:43 PM
  • I rarely use the Exit event. Can you temporarily try your code with a command button? So two textboxes for u/pw, and a command button to run the login code.

You could also check this article for another code sample: http://www.accesssecurityblog.com/post/2011/04/02/Login-Security-using-Access-VBA.aspx

No, there is no size limit.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Size limit - didn't think so, since when the users don't do an update on occasion, their local PC mde (currently) will balloon on usage beyond 30mb.

There already is a command button on the logon screen - it's the Exit button, and it doesn't work either.  LIke I said - all of this has been working very nicely since 1995, first in Acces95, then rewritten and converted to Access2000, and now converted to 2010 with very minor changes.  It has only been the last couple weeks that it quit working as an accde.   Works beautifully as an accdb.  So guess I'll keep working on it, can't take anything out and don't have time to rewrite, and will keep trying until it gets installed next week.  Can't put it off, since the target date for conversion is May month-end and then 2 weeks of parallel.

I've never had a problem using the exit event - since almost every screen has several instances.  Enter a customer #, pull up and display cust data, enter a part number, and display the product info, having to use the command button for every entry would be a disaster for users.

Thanks

Sangwin
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Please confirm the following:
        You build the accde on Machine 1 and test on Machine 2.
        Do you also test on Machine 1 using the /runtime switch?

If the accde works on Machine 1 using the /runtime switch and fails on Machine 2 (runtime only) you are probably missing a dll.

Do all Windows 7 machines have SP1 applied?  If not are you using ADO?  There is a known problem with applications using ADO being built on a Windows 7 SP1 machine and installed on machines without SP1.

>Still won't be able to see anything other than the login, menus and departmental forms.
    But they will be able to make a copy and put it on a machine with a full version of Access and see everything.

Saturday, May 21, 2011 10:01 PM
  • I develop and then build the accde on machine 1 and test on machine 1 with full Access installed.  If it doesn't work there - then I don't even bother to try to run it on machine 2.  The accdb works on both machines.  Will be on-site next week, and work with their tech support guy to make sure all is secure.  It might be that my version of 2010 developed something, won't know until I upload it to their server and test it out with a different copy 2010.  Have thought about downloading a second copy of 2010 to my 2nd machine, but that blows the testing with runtime.

Win 7 is as up-to-date as it can get on both of my machines.

--But they will be able to make a copy and put it on a machine with a full version of Access and see everything.--

Doubtful, it will be hidden on their local PC, and all the backend DB's are well hidden in a blind directory on the server.  You've a much higher level of user than my client does, if they know how to find the hidden files and directories.  This is a smaller office with only about 10-15 users of the system. 

-- Do all Windows 7 machines have SP1 applied? If not are you using ADO? There is a known problem with applications using ADO being built on a Windows 7 SP1 machine and installed on machines without SP1.--

Yes, am using ADO.  And will seriously take that into consideration when doing the actual installation next weekend.  And will make sure the locals know that all PC's must be kept synchronised as far as Win 7 is concerned. 

As said earlier - this is almost a straight conversion from 2000 to 2010, with some minor modifications and additions.  About 120 forms covering all departments, and has been running for 10 years now very successfully.  Got talked into doing the conversion to keep them going on a current platform because they couldn't find another system to do what they wanted.  Once it's installed - hope to turn it over to a local developer and retire (which is what I'd thought I'd already done.) :)

Thanks, for some good info.

Sandi

Sangwin
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 10:39 PM
  • >I develop and then build the accde on machine 1 and test on machine 1 with full Access installed.  If it doesn't work there - then I don't even bother to try to run it on machine 2.

If the accde runs on Machine 1 with the /runtime switch and fails on Machine 2 with runtime only installed it sure sounds like Machine 2 is missing a library.

Get a list of the references from Machine 1 and make sure the referenced libraries are exactly the same on both machines.

Saturday, May 21, 2011 11:59 PM
  • Well, the problem is solved - not on my machine though.

Uploaded all the program DB's this AM to clients server, where there is a PC dedicated to me.  They had just installed a full copy of Access 2010 for me to work with and also for the owner to have access to the backend DB's.  Created the accde and it worked fine. 

Which means I need to refresh my local copy of MSAccess.  Also means I can sleep for the next couple nights before heading from way too hot Florida (mid to high 90's locally) to moderate Monterey Bay.  Packing winter clothes.

Thanks to all for your interest, and help.

Sandi

Sangwin
    • Marked as answer by Sangwin Monday, May 23, 2011 4:03 PM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Issue:

I had a huge Ms Access 2010 tool which I had created. I wanted to give users ACCDE (executable version) of the code. I was able to run the ACCDB but whenever I saved it as ACCDE, it never ran any of my code. Only the form opens up. I also added the Access registry key AllowNetworkLocations with the folder location. It did not work. After doing lot of work on it, I finally solved it.

Solution:

I opened the form code and compiled it from the Debug à Compile option. Then I converted the ACCDB to ACCDE. Worked like a charm. I think we need to compile the code before saving the file as ACCDE otherwise the code is not updated in the ACCDE format.

Friday, June 07, 2013 1:53 PM
  • Issue:

I had a huge Ms Access 2010 tool which I had created. I wanted to give users ACCDE (executable version) of the code. I was able to run the ACCDB but whenever I saved it as ACCDE, it never ran any of my code. Only the form opens up. I also added the Access registry key AllowNetworkLocations with the folder location. It did not work. After doing lot of work on it, I finally solved it.

Solution:

I opened the form code and compiled it from the Debug à Compile option. Then I converted the ACCDB to ACCDE. Worked like a charm. I think we need to compile the code before saving the file as ACCDE otherwise the code is not updated in the ACCDE format.

Friday, June 07, 2013 1:54 PM
  • Issue:

Solution:

Friday, June 07, 2013 2:10 PM