none
MS Access Quiz

Question

• Hello All,

I am not the greatest with computers but can figure most things out. I am trying to make a multiple question quiz on MS Access. It should have a question, 3 wrong anwsers, 1 correct anwser,the ability to grade the test with percentage,a report to tell you the questions you have missed with the pg number to find the anwser, all with random questions.

I have tried to figure out the Access thinking it would be easy but so Far I have found out thats not the case. My question is Access the best program to use and is there a good website for helping me set up this quiz?

Thank you in advance.

Friday, December 07, 2012 12:29 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Edit: I first read this as a .NET project but my reply still stands in regards to proper design no matter what the language.

The first thing I would recommend doing is laying out tables in MS-Access to read question information, store responses along with a table for correct/wrong answers. A good place to get ideas for this is at the following site

http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/index.htm and here is one of their tempates for multiple choices http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/questionnaires_multiple_choice/index.htm

Please note the templates at this site can be used with MS-Access, SQL-Server or any major database.

Once you have this setup the next step is to design SQL statements to read data in to appropitate controls such as a label to show a question, RadioButton, CheckBox or TextBox for responses etc.

You would store responses in the database then when finish use SQL to get informaion back and figure out scores, grading and so on.

For something like random question, with the proper table structures using the Random class will help.

Nothing beats a well thought out database design to handle this.

KSG

Friday, December 07, 2012 12:54 PM
  • You have to decide first what platform to use. As far as VB NET, there would be many ways to accomplish this, just like there would be using a database. For VB NET, imagine you had a text file something like this:

Question Number, Question Text, Correct Answer Number, Possible Answer1, Possible Answer2, Possible Answer3, Possible Answer4, Page # of correct answer

read each line and store in a List, pick a random list entry, separate by the commas and you have all the info for that question. The entry can be removed so that no question gets asked twice in a single quiz.

Edit: MS Access makes it easy to do reports
    Friday, December 07, 2012 4:29 PM
  • It's a bit confusing whether you're asking to do this in VB Net or in Access, but assuming the former, you might want to have a look at something that I posted a few weeks ago:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/19cfa788-39ea-464b-afeb-34690f70275d/#d7a21ae0-9dff-4030-ab0d-735b7099f674

That one uses XML as the data source but it might give you some ideas how it can be done.

I hope that helps. :)

Please call me Frank :)

Friday, December 07, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Hi kbro,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I have to say that whether it is the best way to develop the quiz project on Access is up to you, and in my opinion, it is easy to build report in access.

You can take a look at the following site to set up an access database for quiz:

How to Create a Quiz Database With Microsoft Access
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6468596_create-quiz-database-microsoft-access.html 

For any problem during the development of the Access database, please feel free to let us know. You are welcome to start new threads in the Access forum.

Have a nice day.

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Monday, December 10, 2012 10:07 AM

All replies

• This forum is for VB in Visual Studio, VBA is off topic]

Try the forum for VBA

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/isvvba

The question is Access is the best is impossible to answer as that is related to your knowledge. 

Some will say yes others no, but in fact all based on own knowledge.

Success
    Cor

Friday, December 07, 2012 12:52 PM
  • Hello,

Edit: I first read this as a .NET project but my reply still stands in regards to proper design no matter what the language.

The first thing I would recommend doing is laying out tables in MS-Access to read question information, store responses along with a table for correct/wrong answers. A good place to get ideas for this is at the following site

http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/index.htm and here is one of their tempates for multiple choices http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/questionnaires_multiple_choice/index.htm

Please note the templates at this site can be used with MS-Access, SQL-Server or any major database.

Once you have this setup the next step is to design SQL statements to read data in to appropitate controls such as a label to show a question, RadioButton, CheckBox or TextBox for responses etc.

You would store responses in the database then when finish use SQL to get informaion back and figure out scores, grading and so on.

For something like random question, with the proper table structures using the Random class will help.

Nothing beats a well thought out database design to handle this.

KSG

Friday, December 07, 2012 12:54 PM
  • If this isn't a Visual Basic .NET question then a moderator can move your question to the Access for Developers forum:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/accessdev/threads

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Friday, December 07, 2012 1:30 PM
  • You may want to just get some developer to do it for you.

• Edited by AcsDb Friday, December 07, 2012 3:23 PM
    Friday, December 07, 2012 3:22 PM
  • You have to decide first what platform to use. As far as VB NET, there would be many ways to accomplish this, just like there would be using a database. For VB NET, imagine you had a text file something like this:

Question Number, Question Text, Correct Answer Number, Possible Answer1, Possible Answer2, Possible Answer3, Possible Answer4, Page # of correct answer

read each line and store in a List, pick a random list entry, separate by the commas and you have all the info for that question. The entry can be removed so that no question gets asked twice in a single quiz.

Edit: MS Access makes it easy to do reports
    Friday, December 07, 2012 4:29 PM
  • It's a bit confusing whether you're asking to do this in VB Net or in Access, but assuming the former, you might want to have a look at something that I posted a few weeks ago:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/19cfa788-39ea-464b-afeb-34690f70275d/#d7a21ae0-9dff-4030-ab0d-735b7099f674

That one uses XML as the data source but it might give you some ideas how it can be done.

I hope that helps. :)

Please call me Frank :)

Friday, December 07, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Hi Kbro,

I’d like follow Paul’s suggestion to move this thread to Access Forum. I’m sure the members in Access will give you lots of suggestions, but the answer only depends upon yourself.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day.

Mark Liu-lxf
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:25 AM
  • Hi kbro,

I have to say that whether it is the best way to develop the quiz project on Access is up to you, and in my opinion, it is easy to build report in access.

You can take a look at the following site to set up an access database for quiz:

How to Create a Quiz Database With Microsoft Access
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6468596_create-quiz-database-microsoft-access.html 

For any problem during the development of the Access database, please feel free to let us know. You are welcome to start new threads in the Access forum.

Have a nice day.

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Monday, December 10, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Also, if you intend to build up a quiz database with multiple answers for each question, you may find the sample database made Duane Hookom can be helpful.

Listbox with Multiselection used in Query
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/listbox-with-multiselection-used-in-query_topic17.html

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]

Monday, December 10, 2012 10:10 AM