none
Bug: Rich Text Box with CanGrow = True cut off in Access Report

Question

• It look like we've hit a bug that causes the first line of text boxes to be dropped. It happens under very specific circumstances:

• The text box format is "Rich Text",
    • the text box's "Can Grow" property is set to "Yes",
    • the first page of the report is not included in the printout.

Has anyone encountered this bug before and knows a workaround?

How to reproduce the bug:

1. Create an empty database.
    2. Create a new report in design view.
    3. Enlarge the Detail section to ensure that the report spans two pages (e.g. 31cm).
    4. At the bottom of the Detail section, add a Text box with the following properties:
      - Control Source: ="<div>row1</div><div>row2</div>"
      - Text Format: Rich Text
      - Can Grow: Yes
    5. Go to Print Preview. Note that row1 and row2 are shown on the second page.
    6. Print the report (completely). Note that row1 and row2 are being printed.
    7. Print only the second page of the report (in the Print Dialog: "Pages From: 2 To: 2").

Here's where the fun happens:

Expected result: row1 and row2 are being printed.
    Observed result: Only row2 is printed.

The choice of printer does not seem to matter (it works with our HP LaserJet as well as with the MS XPS virtual printer driver). The problem can be reproduced with both Access 2007 and 2010 (including SP1).

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Heinzi.at,

I can reproduce your problem on my side. I think that it is a issue, I will help you submit to the product team through the internal bug system, they will take it seriouly, then fix it.

If there is any update about the problem, I will update this thread.

Thank you for your understanding and wish you a nice day.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Bruce Song Monday, August 01, 2011 9:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Heinzi.at Monday, August 01, 2011 9:40 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 4:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Heinzi.at,

I can reproduce your problem on my side. I think that it is a issue, I will help you submit to the product team through the internal bug system, they will take it seriouly, then fix it.

If there is any update about the problem, I will update this thread.

Thank you for your understanding and wish you a nice day.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Bruce Song Monday, August 01, 2011 9:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Heinzi.at Monday, August 01, 2011 9:40 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 4:04 AM
  • Hi Bruce!

Thanks a lot, it's good to know that someone is working on this! If there's anything I can help with, please let me know.

Currently, we investigating various workarounds (using the text box twice (overlapping) inside a subreport seems to work most of the time, but it's extremely ugly), so any hints on how to workaround this issue would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

Heinzi

Friday, July 15, 2011 10:53 AM
  • Hi Heinzi,

I tried to find the workaround, but can't find a good one. Because the bug system is internal one, so, people outside can't track the status of the bug. If there is any update about the issue, I will notify you at the first time.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]

Monday, July 18, 2011 11:24 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

Are there any news on this issue? I just noticed that the bug still exists in Access 2013...

Thanks
        Heinzi

Monday, May 27, 2013 9:29 AM