none
MSOffice 2003 Help>About Disablement

Question

• Hi,

I have a query regarding MSOffice Disabled Addins and any advice will be greatly received.

The organisation I work for are using MSOffice 2003 within a Citrix Platform, I support a Document Management System that utilises a Toolbar addin within standard MSOffice applications.

This toolbar is often disabled by the MSOffice resiliency feature, I mostly understand the benefit of resiliency and I'm also aware that to reenable an addin, there are two methods by either changing registry values or using the UI 'Disabled Items' method available within Help>About MSOffice App dialog.

Unfortunately, for reasons that are currently unknown (the Server Tech team who support our Citrix are unsure of why) the Help>About menu option has been disabled, this makes reenabling the toolbar (and any other addin) very difficult.  This results in many calls to our Helpdesk from users and the only method for reenabling is to reset all the user's AppSense User data (AppSense is what our Server Tech use for policy and personalization management).

I have requested that this situation be reviewed, and the first problem that we have hit is that we are unsure how the Help>About options has been disabled, i.e. using Appsense, OR, (what my question boils down to) can the Help>About menu option be disabled by any other means, e.g. is there a MSOffice configuration option for disabling the Help>About dialog.

Also (sorry to chirp on), but is any aware of any security implications of leaving the Help>About option available, I am aware that the About dialog grants access to a 'System Information function', but is anyone aware of any potential 'backdoor' to anything, or is it a case of overzealousness from whomever originally setup Appsense/MSOffice.

Thanks for taking the time to read and apologies for the length.  Any insight/answers would be well received and if any further information is required to help me then please let me know.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hi spunkymuffmonkey,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'll involve some experts who are more familiar with your issue. This may take some time.

Thank you for your patient and understanding.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, December 07, 2012 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

This could be a defect in the addin. I have a couple of suggestions:

• Launch Office application in safemode, excel.exe /safe See if the about menu is back?
    • Run AddinSpy. This tool can detect errors in addin environment.

thanks.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Monday, December 10, 2012 9:12 AM
  • Thanks.
    Monday, December 10, 2012 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for responding, my goal is not to workout why/how the addin is being disabled, but to work out how the Help>About dialogue is be disabled, i.e. is this a registery change, policy setting or another option within the Appsense policies we use within our Citrix environment.

We use many addins (PDF, Enterprise Vault) and anyone could cause all addins to be disabled, my goal is to allow for reenablement of the Addin to be enbaled.

Thanks anyway tho!

Monday, December 10, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Yeah, I understand your requirement. The addinspy suggestion is effort to that. Is the result of Addinspy normal?

Another useful tool is: Process Monitor, would you run the tool to capture events about the specific Office application?  Please share process monitor log on Skydrive, if you need help to analyze it.

thanks.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:41 AM