none
Another version of outlook is currently running close it and try again

Question

• Hi,

We have developed a outlook plugin in VS 2010.

For opening the outlook appointment window in Interner Explorer, we are using the below code   

var OutlookApp = new ActiveXObject("outlook.application");
                var OutlookAppointmentItem = OutlookApp.CreateItem(1);
                OutlookAppointmentItem.MeetingStatus = 1;
                OutlookAppointmentItem.Companies = XMLdatatoOutlook;
                OutlookAppointmentItem.display();                                                                                                          This works fine. But for one client when trying to open the outlook from IE9 with windows 7 OS, He is getting an error message of "Another version of Outlook is currently running. Close it and try again."

Please help me on this issue.

Thanks in Advance

Friday, December 14, 2012 2:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Gopi,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

As far as I know the different browser has different compiler for javascript code and security policy for native machine will affect it also, so it is hard to say how or why for your issue. And I don't recommend you use javascript to handle Outlook Model.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:26 AM

All replies

• I'm confused - you said you have developed an Add-in with VS 2010, but yet you are creating a new instance of Outlook.  Add-ins are supposed to inherit from the Application object referenced in the ThisAddin module.

If this is actually client-side script or a Windows .exe, you can try using GetObject("", "Outlook.Application") instead to obtain an existing reference; it will return null if Outlook isn't running.

Eric Legault MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Try Outlook Appins - affordable and easy to use!

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:37 PM
  • what more, to get it running from web browser you have to turn on feature to use objects marked as unsafe for scripting, which is true for all office apps.

As for your problems - please verify from task manager window that outlook process is not already running when this error occur or use GetObject just like Eric mentioned.

Friday, December 14, 2012 5:42 PM
  • Hi Eric and Damian,

Thank you for both of your responses. I am running a java script to open the outlook.

I have verified in the task manager but i dint find any other outlook process running in it.

Only one outlook running in the task manger.

This is working fine for other users, why it is failing for this user only.

Is this might be due to any compatibility problems i.e. do we have to configure any internet explorer settings. 

Anyway i will try GetObject("", "Outlook.Application") 

Thanks,

Gopi

Monday, December 17, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Hi Gopi,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

As far as I know the different browser has different compiler for javascript code and security policy for native machine will affect it also, so it is hard to say how or why for your issue. And I don't recommend you use javascript to handle Outlook Model.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:26 AM