none
Unable to deploy Office app to SharePoint (Office 365 Preview) - "Sorry, something went wrong"

Question

• Was hoping/assuming that I'd be able to deploy an Office app, developed using VS2012, into a SharePoint site (Office 365 Preview). It doesn't work and I assume I'm doing something incorrectly:

Sorry, something went wrong
    File contains corrupted data.
    TECHNICAL DETAILS
    Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation
    Correlation ID: d38dd59b-3aa1-90d7-bf3f-21d50e841ef3

I am able to create an app within napacloudapp and deploy to the SharePoint site without problem.

If I open the project created in the step above in VS2012, publish it and attempt to upload "new app to deploy" in the SharePoint site's "Developer Site", it fails with the above message.

If I try to deploy a prototype app that I created from scratch in VS2012, same error.

In the publish profile one thing I am doing that may be problematic is switching from HTTPS to HTTP for the URL (*.azurewebsites.net) of the website (MVC). This works locally. Is there perhaps a security requirement on SSL once it hits SharePoint?

Can share the manifest.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 6:17 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Hopefully things are working ok for you now. The service is now reached GA and the RTM version of the tools have been released, you can access all of them from here: http://dev.office.com.  Please unmark this answer and provide us the details of your errors if you are still experiencing them.

Thank you

Program Manager, Office Developer Platform.

Friday, March 08, 2013 2:06 AM

All replies

• Do you have more log in VS Output window while publish? I'm trying to identify if it's a known issue.

thanks.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:55 AM
  • Thanks for you reply. The error occurs outside of Visual Studio 2012. I 'publish' using VS and then switch to the browser and the SharePoint site in the Office 365 preview and select deploy app and choose the manifest (XML). In the image below, I've manually removed the URL of the "Deploy app to" from the image:

And then, after it uploads, select to deploy to the SharePoint site and then wham!

Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Forrest

Were you able to make any progress resolving this?

Thanks

Monday, October 22, 2012 8:56 PM
  • The feature has been changed, do you still run into the issue?

See my account:

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:06 PM
  • No, I continue to receive the same error. I wonder whether I'm doing something wrong. Could I show you?
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Sure, I have two options:

• Record video and share video through Skydrive: http://skydrive.com for security concern, you can specifically share with my Microsoft account: forrest_msdn@hotmail
    • Record reproduce steps with the built-in psr.exe and send email.

thanks.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 7:27 AM
  • You should have received an email from me. Thanks!
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Are you using beta version of sp tools?

From where are you uploading the package? If it is the app.publish directory, can you try the .app file presemt in one level about it, in the bin folder.

additionally  you can as well use vs to directly install the app on your developer site, were you successful in doing that?

Monday, October 29, 2012 4:16 AM
  • Will try both suggestions this morning. 

Here's the (I think appropriate) tools listing:

Microsoft SharePoint Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012 - Preview - ENU    04940-004-0038003-02686
    Microsoft SharePoint Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012 - Preview - ENU 2012

Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2012   04940-004-0038003-02686
    Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2012

Office Developer Tools   04940-004-0038003-02686
    Microsoft Office Developer Tools

Monday, October 29, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Okay, progress...

I was able to 'install' the app when I selected the parent directory's .app file. However, it then failed.

The UI shows a status of "installing" but does not appear to auto-update once complete. After refreshing, I noticed that this action had completed.

The use of the ellipsis (...) for 'details' or 'more information' isn't obvious. However, once I found this, I saw the message "There were some errors. Please click on View Logs for more details.". Which I did and discovered "The apps for Office catalog does not exist.".

I went to the Admin functionality of the SharePoint site and clicked "Apps".

The site has no App Catalog. Should I create one?

Under "Configure Store Settings" it tells me I need an App Catalog.

I'm a SharePoint/365 admin neophyte so apologies if this is all obvious.

I've not created the App Catalog in case it would be helpful for you to continue to virtually debug this.

Monday, October 29, 2012 4:50 PM
  • Congrats on making progress :)

Please go ahead and create the App Catalog, that would help you see exact error message your app had.

Additionally, were you able to install it directly via VS to the developer site?

Monday, October 29, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Thanks (for your help)! ;-)

Additionally I "Configure Store Settings" and "Yes" for "Apps for Office from the Store".

I created the App Catalog but I receive the same errors. 

I don't know how to publish directly via VS to the developer site. The instructions I'm using suggest right-clicking publishing which creates a publish profile (the files .app, .xml - referenced previously) and then, I believe there's a way to publish running scripts but I'm leery of using them and have been trying to do this manually.

Monday, October 29, 2012 9:16 PM
  • Hi Daz,

If this is an app for Office, have you tried uploading the XML file to the app for Office catalog. For example, open the app catalog (not sure what you named your's but it might be something like http://mySPServer/sites/appcatalog/), and then choose the App for Office link on the left. Then, upload the XML file.

sdf

Norm Estabrook

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:22 PM
  • I can add the XML file directly but am unsure what to then do... the app does not appear in the developer site and, if I open it from the app catalog, it just opens the XML file.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:38 PM
  • Hi Daz,

You have to open a document first. then you can insert the app for Office into the document. There is no way to select the app for Office outside of a document and view it's contents.  Note that you can open the document from a document libarary in SharePoint or outside of SharePoint - either way.

The tricky part here is that because the app for Office has been deployed to SharePoint, you have to "trust" the app catalog from within Excel or Word (whichever Office application you intend to insert the app for Office in). Here are some rough steps to get that done below:

1. In Word or Excel, select the File tab, choose Options, choose the Trust Center tab,
      choose the Trust Center Settings button, and then choose
      Trusted App Catalogs.
    2. In the Catalog Url field, provide the URL of the app
      catalog, and choose the Add catalog button.
    3. In the Trusted Catalog Address list, next to the URL
      that you added, select the Show in Menu check box, and
      then choose the OK button.
    4. On the Insert tab, choose Apps for
      Office
      , and then choose See All
    5. In the Insert App dialog box, choose the Organization (I believe) link. Your app for Office should appear
    6. Select your app for Office, and then choose the Insert button to add the app to your document.

Norm E.

Norm Estabrook

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:55 PM
  • My developer site is slapped with an "Upgrade in Progress" now extended through November 9th.

I'm keen to try your solution but unable to until I get back into the SharePoint site. Will report back then.

Thanks!

Monday, November 05, 2012 5:39 PM
  • Hello,

Hopefully things are working ok for you now. The service is now reached GA and the RTM version of the tools have been released, you can access all of them from here: http://dev.office.com.  Please unmark this answer and provide us the details of your errors if you are still experiencing them.

Thank you

Program Manager, Office Developer Platform.

Friday, March 08, 2013 2:06 AM