none
How can I add a "Title" column to the "Link to a Document" content type?

Question

• How can I add a standard "Title" column to the "Link to a Document" content type?

It appears that I can only add site columns to an existing content type, and "Title" is not a site column, nor can I create a site column with this name since it is reserved.

The "Document" content type that it inherits from has the "Title" column that inherits from "Item", but it seems to be removed. Can I restore this column to this content type?

We are running WSS 3.0.
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 5:36 PM

Answers

• This is a known issue according to http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blogs/fromthefield/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=0ce77946%2D1e45%2D4b43%2D8c74%2D21963e64d4e1&ID=15 .

In the Manage Site Content type page (_layouts/ManageContentType.aspx), I added a site column named, say, gym, to the Link to a Document content type. Then, I run the following PowerShell script to rename the site column gym to Title:

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.SharePoint")

$site=[Microsoft.Sharepoint.SPSite]("http://Your Site")

$web=$site.openWeb()

$fld = $web.Fields.getFieldByInternalName("gym")

$fld.Title = "Title"

$fld.PushChangesToLists = $true

$fld.Update()

Gu Yuming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Friday, March 05, 2010 2:59 AM
  • Then, you should not add your own “title” column to the Link to a document site content type, instead, you can:

1.      Add the Link to a document content type into the document library;

2.      In the list content type setting page (not site collection content type setting page), use the Add from existing site or list columns function to add the Title field to the Link to a document list content type.

The problem with this solution is that when you create a new Link to document item, the Title field will not appear in the NewLink.aspx page. You should then edit the item and fill in Title field in the edit form. Alternatively, if you don’t mind programming, You may create your own New Form, replace the /_layouts/NewLink.aspx with your New Form in List content type advanced setting -> document template.

Gu Yuming

Tuesday, March 09, 2010 2:04 AM

All replies

• This is a known issue according to http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blogs/fromthefield/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=0ce77946%2D1e45%2D4b43%2D8c74%2D21963e64d4e1&ID=15 .

In the Manage Site Content type page (_layouts/ManageContentType.aspx), I added a site column named, say, gym, to the Link to a Document content type. Then, I run the following PowerShell script to rename the site column gym to Title:

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.SharePoint")

$site=[Microsoft.Sharepoint.SPSite]("http://Your Site")

$web=$site.openWeb()

$fld = $web.Fields.getFieldByInternalName("gym")

$fld.Title = "Title"

$fld.PushChangesToLists = $true

$fld.Update()

Gu Yuming

Friday, March 05, 2010 2:59 AM
  • This solution works great, except that if I have Link to a Document content types in a list or library with any other content types with a Title field, I cannot have the Title properties appear in the same column in a view. I assume this is because they use separate fields (both called “Title”, but one inherited from the Item content type and the other my newly renamed site column). This is why I wondered about using the "Title" column that the Document content type inherits from Item.

Is there a solution that lets me use Link to a Document and other content types in the same list, and have the Title values of both content types appear in the same column of the list view?

Thank you for your help.

Saturday, March 06, 2010 12:11 AM
  • Then, you should not add your own “title” column to the Link to a document site content type, instead, you can:

1.      Add the Link to a document content type into the document library;

2.      In the list content type setting page (not site collection content type setting page), use the Add from existing site or list columns function to add the Title field to the Link to a document list content type.

The problem with this solution is that when you create a new Link to document item, the Title field will not appear in the NewLink.aspx page. You should then edit the item and fill in Title field in the edit form. Alternatively, if you don’t mind programming, You may create your own New Form, replace the /_layouts/NewLink.aspx with your New Form in List content type advanced setting -> document template.

Gu Yuming

Tuesday, March 09, 2010 2:04 AM
  • Perfect. In our case we have a site content type that inherits from Link to a Document, so I would rather be able update that in one place rather than make changes on a list-by-list basis, but this is definitely a satisfactory alternative.

Thank you for all your help!
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 8:27 PM