none
Displaying Visio on the web asp.net

Question

• I am looking for a way to display a visio file on a web page, edit that file and save it again.

I want to do it using Microsoft's Visio and use its SDK.

I am using an asp.net site(c#) and Visio 2013. (I am not using Sharepoint)

From what I searched I only found an old way of doing it using ActiveX.

I also want to get the data out of the visio file.

Thank you

Sunday, October 06, 2013 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hi firelior,

In SharePoint, we could view a Visio document in HTML page because SharePoint implemented a render engine to view Visio document.

For Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents, we could use View Office documents online service. But Visio is not in support list at present. To view a Visio document on your own website, you need to implement an engine to render Visio documents and it would be very complex.

By the way, the current Visio SDK is mainly used to develop Visio Add-Ins, and I don’t recommend you using in on server side development. See Considerations for server-side Automation of Office.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Microsoft Visio, I'll move your question to the MSDN forum

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=officegeneral&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 07, 2013 8:09 AM
  • Hi firelior,

In SharePoint, we could view a Visio document in HTML page because SharePoint implemented a render engine to view Visio document.

For Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents, we could use View Office documents online service. But Visio is not in support list at present. To view a Visio document on your own website, you need to implement an engine to render Visio documents and it would be very complex.

By the way, the current Visio SDK is mainly used to develop Visio Add-Ins, and I don’t recommend you using in on server side development. See Considerations for server-side Automation of Office.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:23 AM