none
Office automation, Performance ploblem- Powerpoint runs slow on Windows server 2003/2008 machine

Question

• I have an office automation application which inserts slides from one presentation to new or existing presentation. This slide insertion /Copy-paste takes too much time in windows sever 2003/2008 machine. I have used Microsoft.Office.Interop.PowerPoint libraries in my application. Following code is taking time in executing on windows server2003 and 2008 platform,

1. sldSource.Copy()
    2. _presentation.Windows(1).Activate()
    3.  _presentation.Application.CommandBars.ExecuteMso("PasteSourceFormatting")
    4. sldInserted = _presentation.Slides(slideIndex)

After line no. 3 which does paste of the copied slide, line no. 4 takes time in execution. PowerPoint window seems freeze here.
    This freezing kind of behavior is not observed on other windows platform (win  xp, Win 7, Win vista). There is something related to power point on windows 2003/2008 platform which is making copy paste really slow and sometimes hangs.

If anybody has some pointers on this problem please provide. Many thanks in advance.   

-Dinesh
    • Moved by Dummy yoyoModerator Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:04 AM (From:Access for Developers)
    Friday, December 07, 2012 12:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have an office automation application which inserts slides from one presentation to new or existing presentation. This slide insertion /Copy-paste takes too much time in windows sever 2003/2008 machine. I have used Microsoft.Office.Interop.PowerPoint libraries in my application. Following code is taking time in executing on windows server2003 and 2008 platform,

1. sldSource.Copy()

After line no. 3 which does paste of the copied slide, line no. 4 takes time in execution. PowerPoint window seems freeze here.
    This freezing kind of behavior is not observed on other windows platform (win  xp, Win 7, Win vista). There is something related to power point on windows 2003/2008 platform which is making copy paste really slow and sometimes hangs.

If anybody has some pointers on this problem please provide. Many thanks in advance.   

-Dinesh
    Friday, December 07, 2012 12:15 PM

1. sldSource.Copy()

-Dinesh
    Friday, December 07, 2012 12:21 PM
  • What do you mean "executing on Windows Server?"  Are you using Terminal Services?  Is that what you are doing?  If so, where are the PowerPoint and/or Access files located?  I assume this is related to Access since you posted in the Access forum, so is the database split and does each person have a copy of the frontend either on their own machine or in a separate folder (if using Terminal Services)?  If not, they should.

Bob Larson, Access MVP 2008, 2009, 2011

Friday, December 07, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Hi Dinesh,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I cannot figure out why the performance have a difference between different system. I'll involve some experts who are more familiar with your issue. This may take some time.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:05 AM
  • Hi Dinesh,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Regarding the issue, I'm moving the thread to current forum for better support.

Thanks for your understanding and have a nice day.

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:05 AM
  • Hi, 

Your question falls into the extended support category which requires a more in-depth level of support. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

best regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:04 PM
  • By "executing on Windows Server?" I meant that the application execution time on Windows server 2003 is taking time than its execution time on windows xp or Windows 7. Issue is with Powerpoint 2010. The copy paste of slides between two presentations is very slow while running my application on windows server 2003.

I need to find solution to make copy paste of slides faster on windows server 2003.

Dinesh

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:38 PM