none
how to retrieve table data from web by excel VBA

Question

• Hi , I am from Malaysia, I have an excel vba question : how to retrieve table data from web by excel VBA?

Let said I want to copy the table below and paste it into excel , the table is from http://www.nowgoal.com/detail/561532.html , i just want the data , similar to copy contents from web & paste it into excel as unicode text , no need the data to link to excel like web query , also no need  the web formatting.

But the problem is if I paste it as unicode text , the “Kick-off“ and “First Yellow Card sign “+“ will remove in excel , because it is a image, and if paste it as web formatting , will need to wait for long time for loading , plus I want to retrieve a few thounsand of this kind of table , so manually copy the table one by one from web pages and paste it into excel is tedious.

I have tried excel web query and record it as a macro , but the problem is its speed is very slow and always make excel crash.

Your help is much more appreciate , thanks!

Monday, July 30, 2012 9:30 AM

Answers

• This VBA addin can retrieve all sorts of data exposed on the web: It's not just for stock market data.

smf_addin

• Marked as answer by engchiang Thursday, August 09, 2012 11:27 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 10:44 AM
  • Interestingly, Excel 2013 has some new functions to retrieve data in HTML format.
    Wednesday, August 01, 2012 1:50 PM

All replies

• This VBA addin can retrieve all sorts of data exposed on the web: It's not just for stock market data.

smf_addin

Monday, July 30, 2012 10:44 AM
  • This small 'pluses' are pictures.  These specific 'pluses' are literally gif files, and they are named '55.gif'.  I think you're going to have a heck of a time importing these and getting each lined up in the appropriate place.

Good luck!

Hey!!!  Don't unmark my answer!!  I lose 15 points when you do that.  I only get 5 points for a correct answer.  This is the correct answer.  I can tell you don't even know what you don't know.  I spend a lot of time working on these discussion forums (over a dozen, total), helping you, as well as MANY other people who had all kinds of questions, and this is what I get . . . 

• Proposed as answer by Leo_GaoModerator Monday, August 06, 2012 7:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo_GaoModerator Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by engchiang Thursday, August 09, 2012 11:26 AM
    • Edited by ryguy72 Thursday, August 09, 2012 2:30 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:50 PM
  • Interestingly, Excel 2013 has some new functions to retrieve data in HTML format.
    Wednesday, August 01, 2012 1:50 PM
  • hi Ryan Shuell , sorry for late reply coz i seldom online, thanks for your answer, i will try to pull data from source code.
    Thursday, August 09, 2012 11:25 AM