none
Outlook 2013: customize the To-Do bar?

Question

• Hi

I am looking for some sample how to cutomize the To-Do Bar in Outlook 2013.

Are any samples available? Any hints?

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• The ToDo bar has been deprecated in Outlook 2013. You will not be able to do what you want.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "gicio" <=?utf-8?B?Z2ljaW8=?=> wrote in message news:56e72fd2-5a74-415d-8dc1-3819fa2da7bf...

Hi

I am looking for some sample how to cutomize the To-Do Bar in Outlook 2013.

Are any samples available? Any hints?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:57 PM
  • The to-do bar has not been deprecated, although the functionality seems to have been reduced.  There is no ability to right click, and the calendar does not show in bold the days with appointments.

The options for the to-do bar in view settings are Calendar, People, Tasks and Off.

Monday, December 10, 2012 9:25 PM

• --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "CaptFelony" <=?utf-8?B?Q2FwdEZlbG9ueQ==?=> wrote in message news:7f49e8dc-03bd-49b6-9b71-67a91fa34b92...

The to-do bar has not been deprecated, although the functionality seems to have been reduced.  There is no ability to right click, and the calendar does not show in bold the days with appointments.

The options for the to-do bar in view settings are Calendar, People, Tasks and Off.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, December 10, 2012 9:53 PM
  • Also, see the list of things deprecated in Outlook 2013 that includes the ToDo Bar at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj228679.aspx

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Ken Slovak MVP" <=?utf-8?B?S2VuIFNsb3ZhayBNVlA=?=> wrote in message news:7ed6106b-b6b9-4e1c-9100-cb5f9fec0cb6...

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "CaptFelony" <=?utf-8?B?Q2FwdEZlbG9ueQ==?=> wrote in message news:7f49e8dc-03bd-49b6-9b71-67a91fa34b92...

The to-do bar has not been deprecated, although the functionality seems to have been reduced.  There is no ability to right click, and the calendar does not show in bold the days with appointments.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:35 PM
  • I am concerned that Microsoft (MS) is deprecating or reducing the function of too many things. I did read the slipstick list:

The Calendar peek is very limited compared to the To-do Bar:

1. It shows only the selected day's appointments, not the next 5 appointments that may be spread over multiple days
    2. You can see only one navigation calendar at a time
    3. The navigation calendar doesn't support dragging messages to create appointments on a specific date.
    4. Dragging a message and hovering over the word "Calendar" will not open the calendar folder.
    5. You cannot interact with the appointments in the peek or pinned peek.

What I want to know is why?  Is it that it is not possible to run the features or is it that they felt that no one used them?  IMO it is not appropriate to remove these or any features entirely and replace them with less functional ones.  It would have been appropriate for the developers to allow the previous functions as an option in the settings.

I have used Outlook from the earliest version and to me it is clear that this version has too many omissions.  The to-do bar is one example.

Another example is having no blue office theme (there is user psychology here).  In both cases I rated them as "don't like" via the report tool during the trail but it seems that MS did not listen - at least before the GA stage.

I also noticed that the to-do bar cannot even be dragged to reduce the width of the column even though the drag handle cursor comes appears.  The pane is too wide.

Like Windows 8, I am lead to conclude that some parts are just not finished or a little bit broken.  For example the lock-screen does not have the Australian date scheme of dd, mm, yyyy only the US date scheme of mm, dd, yyyy.  After all MS computers were always known as PC's but the P for Personal seems to have slipped a bit!

MS needs to be careful that people don't jump ship and start looking at Apple and Google products because they are frustrated that MS does not listen - yep it is that serious!

For the first time my company has had to say to our clients to not upgrade to a new version of Office (2013).  I am not being mean spirited here just articulating a common sense reality.

I am hopeful that these features will be fixed sooner than later or that MS will allow the to-do bar to be use in 2010 mode.

It is all well and good to have new features providing they are better than the ones they replace and every day that nothing is done is a day when people will look elsewhere...

• Proposed as answer by PlanetPaolo Sunday, April 14, 2013 4:02 PM
    Saturday, March 02, 2013 12:52 AM
  • Outlook 2013 is soon to be grouped on Wikipedia with Healthcare.gov as how you break something that wasn't in need of repair in the first place. The calendar is much worse. The views that made Outlook so amazing are gone. They intend all of this to be on the "Start Screen" in the future, but they aren't there today. Nobody is going to favor several apps (Calendar, People, Mail, etc) with severely lacking features over the power of Outlook.

Microsoft, get your ducks in a row.  I love my Surface Pro 2, but the software available for it is atrocious.  Apple's default software is awful as well, but at least I can pick from hundreds of decent alternatives.  I have nowhere really to go with the Surface, especially if looking for Metro apps.  The few things that are out there are malfunctioning, and quite a few of them are flat out malware.  How they get onto the store to begin with boggles the mind. 

Either pull out your bats and swing for the fences or don't sign up to play in the first place.  You can't get up there expecting demanding customers to allow you to walk your way to a win.

• Edited by Kraks1 Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:48 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:48 PM