none
There is not enough memory to complete operation - MS Project 2012 pro

Question

• I have a user that gets the error " There is not enough memory to complete operation" when he clicks on a random filed to edit.

Thank you for any help you can provide

Monday, July 09, 2012 1:01 PM

Answers

• SaffMan,

Does he have problems with all Project files or just this one? By the way you didn't mention which version of Project, (there is no Project 2012), and whether he has the latest updates installed.

Many different things can cause a Project file to bloat (e.g. embedded objects, large complex link structure, lots of custom fields, etc.). I suggest he try using one or more of the methods described in FAQ 43 - Handling project file corruption and/or bloat, which can be found on the MVP website at, http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, July 09, 2012 3:06 PM

All replies

• This is a general error and is not related specifically to MS Project.

Tell the user to start closing all other programs that are currently open on his computer. When enough programs are closed he will be able to edit the fields.

If he has closed everything else and is still unable to edit, then he should reboot and try again.

Hessel

Monday, July 09, 2012 1:34 PM
  • Thanks for the response

I have done these steps and he still gets the error. If you google the error, you will find several others in Project with this issue. He has no other issues with Office products.

Any other ideas?

Monday, July 09, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Perhaps check if there is enough RAM. If necessary, add more.
    Monday, July 09, 2012 2:30 PM
  • The laptop is maxed out at 4GB, the laptop is less than 2 years old. I look at the task manager and I do not see any extreme memory use.

Is there any way the file it's self could be damaged? This is the only one he uses.

Thanks!

Monday, July 09, 2012 2:35 PM
  • SaffMan,

Does he have problems with all Project files or just this one? By the way you didn't mention which version of Project, (there is no Project 2012), and whether he has the latest updates installed.

Many different things can cause a Project file to bloat (e.g. embedded objects, large complex link structure, lots of custom fields, etc.). I suggest he try using one or more of the methods described in FAQ 43 - Handling project file corruption and/or bloat, which can be found on the MVP website at, http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, July 09, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response. Sorry, the version is 2010 Pro. I will look over the FAQ and update once I get a chance to try them out.

Thanks

Monday, July 09, 2012 3:23 PM
  • SaffMan,

Great, give us some feedback on how it works. If it solves the problem, please mark your post as answered.

John

Monday, July 09, 2012 4:34 PM