none
VBA error 1004 in Excel 2007

Question

• I have a VBA program that has worked in the past, but suddenly is giving me an error indicating that workbook in which I am attempting to insert a template-based worksheet in is protected. The code snippet that fails is

Sheets.Add Type:=strDailySheetTemplateLocation

The error is "Workbook is protected and cannot be changed". The workbook is not protected, the sheet I am inserting is not protected. Any idea what might be going on here?

Thanks

Sunday, June 10, 2012 8:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Geb,

The parameter for type is suspicious.  According to this MSDN help, the value is enum XLSheetType but doesn't accept customized value:

Name

Value

Description

xlChart

Chart

xlDialogSheet

Dialog sheet

xlExcel4IntlMacroSheet

Excel version 4 international macro sheet

xlExcel4MacroSheet

Excel version 4 macro sheet

xlWorksheet

Worksheet

On the other hand, VBA runtime error 1004 indicates a name failure: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/146864

Another reference for this error: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1250484/excel-2007-vba-run-time-error-1004

Does this help fix it?

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

• Marked as answer by Geb Blum Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:22 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Geb Blum Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Geb Blum Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:23 AM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:48 AM
  • Thanks, Forrest. I found a two year old copy of the template and it works. I cannot find any difference between the two templates. This is program was a quick and dirty Excel application I wrote to save one of our secretaries a lot of mindless work, and unfortunately has become institutionalized here and has grown like topsy. My next problem will be dealing with 64 bit Excel 2010, as Microsoft has dropped the calendar control, and that is a very key piece of the application. Thanks for your time.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:29 AM
  • Glad to know that you resolved it.  Feel free to create new threads for new problem.

thanks,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:51 AM