none
How binary data type is stored In Access ?

Question

• Hi All,

I am doing research on the structure of  Access database file (.mdb/.accdb).  Can any one tell me how the BINARY data type is stored in .mdb/.accdb file ? what should be insert query for binary data type column ? Is access database file (.mdb/.accdb) open source ? Where can I get specification for that ?

Thank you !!!

Regards,

Pravin Thokal

Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:07 PM

Answers

• Since you are doing research, I am going to point you to search.microsoft.com where you can continue this research. I typed the subject of your message in the search box and got several promising leads.

No, the Access database file is not open source. It is a proprietary file format invented by Microsoft. Its basis is OLE Structured Storage. I know of only 2 people outsite of MSFT who understand this structure in detail. They offer database corruption repair services.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:00 PM

All replies

• Since you are doing research, I am going to point you to search.microsoft.com where you can continue this research. I typed the subject of your message in the search box and got several promising leads.

No, the Access database file is not open source. It is a proprietary file format invented by Microsoft. Its basis is OLE Structured Storage. I know of only 2 people outsite of MSFT who understand this structure in detail. They offer database corruption repair services.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:00 PM
  • Thank you Tom.
    Friday, January 11, 2013 5:36 AM