none
InfoPath form submitted multiple times into SharePoint 2010 form library

Question

• I have created a Time Tracking tool for users across my department using InfoPath 2010 and SharePoint 2010. All forms are stored in a form library. So for most people, they should open the form in the browser, fill it out, and click submit. This should store the form in the form library and they can do it over and over again for different records. I view the records and evaluate the records in list/library view in SharePoint.

One of my user's forms are submitting duplicate forms each time he hits submit. When I look at his records, I can see each form is submitted twice. However, he does not see duplicates.

I can see that each duplicate record has the same ID (given by SharePoint), as well as the same Name (which I set up to be unique). Using InfoPath, I set up the form so that it should be given a unique name when submitted:  concat(now(), userName()) .  I also have the box checked for overwriting existing files.

Does anyone know what could be going on? This is a very large list/library. Some 23963 documents.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 8:30 PM

Answers

• Thank you so much for your responses to my questions. After doing some testing, we determined that there is an issue with some users' Active Directory accounts which is causing their forms to submit twice.
    Monday, March 05, 2012 3:36 PM

All replies

• I have created a Time Tracking tool for users across my department using InfoPath 2010 and SharePoint 2010. All forms are stored in a form library. So for most people, they should open the form in the browser, fill it out, and click submit. This should store the form in the form library and they can do it over and over again for different records. I view the records and evaluate the records in list/library view in SharePoint.

One of my user's forms are submitting duplicate forms each time he hits submit. When I look at his records, I can see each form is submitted twice. However, he does not see duplicates.

I can see that each duplicate record has the same ID (given by SharePoint), as well as the same Name (which I set up to be unique). Using InfoPath, I set up the form so that it should be given a unique name when submitted:  concat(now(), userName()) .  I also have the box checked for overwriting existing files.

Does anyone know what could be going on? This is a very large list/library. Some 23963 documents.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Where do you have the logic for calculating the InfoPath file name as:  concat(now(), userName()).

If you had the logic in the submit button, will you get a new file name every time the button is clicked?

I think it will be better to put the logic in the form load event:

if this is a new form

put the file name = concat(now(), username()).

Thursday, March 01, 2012 8:35 PM
  • I do have it set to give the form a new name when you hit submit. The form is pretty dependent upon submissin. Also, I do not know that there is a way to have InfoPath assign a name before the form is submitted. For Form Load Rules, the closest I can get is "Set a field's value". "Name" isn't a field in InfoPath, rather "name" is the title field stored in SharePoint.
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 8:51 PM
  • I see the question or confusion you have.  Here is what I did:

• Defined a rule Form Load rules to calculated the name  to a text box field.  this field is actually never displayed anywhere on the InfoPath form.
    • Made a reference to this field in your data connection wizard (file name field), which is used by your submit button.

In the example below, filename is my text box field name

Thursday, March 01, 2012 10:03 PM
  • Just adding to Jason's excellent point.

You can test in Form_Load whether you are on a new  form or an existing form, by testing whether FileName field is blank.  

On Form_Load

IF FileName is blank
    Set value  FileName = concat( now(), username() )

jliu - http://johnliu.net - http://sharepointgurus.net

Friday, March 02, 2012 3:50 AM
  • Thank you so much for your responses to my questions. After doing some testing, we determined that there is an issue with some users' Active Directory accounts which is causing their forms to submit twice.
    Monday, March 05, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your post.
    I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:23 AM
  • Are you able to share more details on the issue so we can learn from this?
    Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:36 PM
  • I'm afraid I don't have much more information to provide on this. I have gathered that it is not an issue with InfoPath or SharePoint itself, as it only happens with some users and appears to be unique to their Active Directory accounts. So if User1 experiences the issue on his PC, then logs onto SharePoint with his AD account on my PC, then he still has the issue. If I don't have the issue on my PC, and I log onto SharePoint on User1's PC, I still don't have the issue.

If my team determines that we should put resources into this issue, we will need to escalte to the Active Directory team.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:46 PM