none
Assign task to user (via lookup) in SP Designer workflow

Question

• I would appreciate advice on the best way to assign tasks to specified users via a workflow.

For example, I would like to assign a task to the manager of each department, depending on various values checked in a workflow. The best solution I have come up with is to create a lookup table that includes two fields:

1. Department

2. User

The workflow would check for a match on Department, and then assign the task to the corresponding user.

Is this a reasonable solution, or does anyone have a better option?

Many Thanks

Monday, August 25, 2014 10:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on your description, my understanding is that you want to assign a task to the manager of each department via a workflow.

I have did a test with your method, it is reasonable.

1. Create a custom list named ‘custom’, create two columns, ‘department’ with the type of “Single line of text” and ‘manager’ with the type of “Person and Group”.
    2. Create another custom list named ‘custom12’.
      1.  Create a Lookup column called ‘Department’, Get information from: ‘custom’, In this column: ‘department’. 
      2. The ‘manager’ column with the type of “Person and Group” can’t be lookup
    3. Open your site with sharepoint designer, choose the ‘custom12’ to create an approval workflow.
    4. Click those user->Workflow Lookup For a user->Data source: custom; Field from source: manager; Return field as: Display Name. Field: department; Value: Lookup for Single line of text. Please refer to the screenshot.

5. Publish the workflow.

Please don’t hesitate to let me know if there still exist some confuse.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:21 AM
  • Hello Sara,

If you are using SharePoint designer to create the workflow, then you can use "Initiation Form Parameters" option which will prompt the you to assign the task to a specific user

Create a parameter of type "Person or Group" and select the "Work Email" option from the drop down. Then "Send Email" step add the  parameter in the "To" section and select either "Email Address" or "Login Name"

Note: This option works only when workflow is started manually

Hope the information helps!

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, my understanding is that you want to assign a task to the manager of each department via a workflow.

I have did a test with your method, it is reasonable.

1. Create a custom list named ‘custom’, create two columns, ‘department’ with the type of “Single line of text” and ‘manager’ with the type of “Person and Group”.
    2. Create another custom list named ‘custom12’.
      1.  Create a Lookup column called ‘Department’, Get information from: ‘custom’, In this column: ‘department’. 
      2. The ‘manager’ column with the type of “Person and Group” can’t be lookup
    3. Open your site with sharepoint designer, choose the ‘custom12’ to create an approval workflow.
    4. Click those user->Workflow Lookup For a user->Data source: custom; Field from source: manager; Return field as: Display Name. Field: department; Value: Lookup for Single line of text. Please refer to the screenshot.

5. Publish the workflow.

Please don’t hesitate to let me know if there still exist some confuse.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:21 AM
  • Hello Sara,

If you are using SharePoint designer to create the workflow, then you can use "Initiation Form Parameters" option which will prompt the you to assign the task to a specific user

Create a parameter of type "Person or Group" and select the "Work Email" option from the drop down. Then "Send Email" step add the  parameter in the "To" section and select either "Email Address" or "Login Name"

Note: This option works only when workflow is started manually

Hope the information helps!

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:40 AM