none
How do you use Excel 2013 charts in Access 2013?

Question

• I've made extensive use of the Access 2010 pivot chart feature. Beyond MS Graph (not really useful), the proposed approach is to use Excel 2013 charts. Does this mean switching between the two applications?

If so, this is a pretty poor solution. Excel cannot query the database while access is open. Access won't allow the database to open while Excel is connected to the database. Should users toggle between the applications?

I've tried using embedded Excel charts and driving them through OLE automation. This, again, is dreadfully slow and time-consuming to develop in VBA.

Is there a proposed approach? Will this be properly integrated?

Monday, March 25, 2013 8:42 AM

Answers

• I would gravitate towards using Automation from Access: Access opens a workbook already prepared with the chart, puts some data in it, the chart redraws, and mission accomplished. You may even be able to set focus to Excel after you are done.

Yes, that means two apps are open. That's not very integrated but the best you can do if you don't want to use an embedded sheet (indeed I don't like that option either). It's not the end of the world. People have been outputting reports to PDF for ages and I don't hear anyone complain it's not integrated.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Monday, March 25, 2013 2:12 PM

All replies

• I would gravitate towards using Automation from Access: Access opens a workbook already prepared with the chart, puts some data in it, the chart redraws, and mission accomplished. You may even be able to set focus to Excel after you are done.

Yes, that means two apps are open. That's not very integrated but the best you can do if you don't want to use an embedded sheet (indeed I don't like that option either). It's not the end of the world. People have been outputting reports to PDF for ages and I don't hear anyone complain it's not integrated.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Monday, March 25, 2013 2:12 PM
  • I just helped a person with this same issue last week.  See the full discussion here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/accessdev/thread/93dfe939-ceb1-452f-8806-3c24a8a809a6

Knowledge is the only thing that I can give you, and still retain, and we are both better off for it.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:17 AM