none
ACC2007 Runtime - Access closes when trying to run Linked Table Manager

Question

• Hi everyone:  I have a split ACC2007 application with the accde extension I created. I am running on WIN_XP SP3 with the latest ACC2007 Runtime distribution package. I need to be ale to run Linked Table Manager as a user to change the pointer to a UNC on a server instead of the local client directory.  Access does a shutdown. Error logging is not catching any errors. The code run fine in full Access.  I create the accde and then load it using the /runtime switch in this same environment. I have tried opening a form with a button as follows:

Private Sub cmdUNCAdmin_Click()
    Dim strMsg As String, adminpswd As String, strInput As String, style As Variant, Title As String, Help As Variant, Ctxt As Variant
    Dim moveon As String, PswdComp As Variant
    Dim Msg, Response, MyString
    Dim password As String
    password = "b"
    ' prompt for Admin password
    strMsg = "Enter the Admin password" & vbCr & vbCr & "password is case sensitive ..." ' Define message.
    ' Display message.
    ' Prompt user for input.
    strInput = InputBoxDK(strMsg, "Admin Password")
    adminpswd = strInput
    'ConfirmUser (answer)
    PswdComp = StrComp(adminpswd, password, 0)
    If Nz(PswdComp, 99) <> 0 Then
    moveon = "False"
    Msg = "Invalid password entered." & vbCr ' Define message.
    style = vbOKOnly ' Define buttons.
    Title = "Admin Password Confirmation" ' Define title.
    Help = "DEMO.HLP" ' Define Help file.
    Ctxt = 1000 ' Define topic context.
    ' Display message.
    Response = MsgBox(Msg, style, Title, Help, Ctxt)

Else
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmLinkedTableManager", acNormal, , , acFormEdit, acDialog

End If

The form code is straight forward as I am still testing the reason for the crash. The form does not have any other event triggers or code. Only one button and the code is as follows:

Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Private Sub cmdLinkedTableManager_Click()

On Error GoTo Err_LinkedTableMgr ' Initialize error handling.

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdLinkedTableManager

Exit_cmdLinkedTableManager_Click:

Exit Sub ' Exit before error handler.

Err_LinkedTableMgr:

MsgBox Err.Number & Err.Description ' Place error handling here.

Resume Exit_cmdLinkedTableManager_Click: ' Pick up again and quit.
    End Sub

I have also tried running the Linked Table Manger from the Ribbon.  This also causes Access to crash.  Any ideas?

Thanks,  Brent

Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Brent,

Well this is what happens when you use the runtime. It´s not a full Access ^^

You have to know that the table manager is an assistant like those for creating forms, reports, queries etc. And you can´t use them in a runtime. I guess you noticed what i´m about to say. This feature is not available in a runtime.

You have to solve this by using vba. I just have some german examples from faq´s but i don´t think taht they´ll be very helpful to you.

But i also have this code from mvps.org:

http://www.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0009.htm

Hope to Help - Jörn
    • Marked as answer by BrentAnderson Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:47 PM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Brent,

Well this is what happens when you use the runtime. It´s not a full Access ^^

You have to know that the table manager is an assistant like those for creating forms, reports, queries etc. And you can´t use them in a runtime. I guess you noticed what i´m about to say. This feature is not available in a runtime.

You have to solve this by using vba. I just have some german examples from faq´s but i don´t think taht they´ll be very helpful to you.

But i also have this code from mvps.org:

http://www.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0009.htm

Hope to Help - Jörn
    • Marked as answer by BrentAnderson Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:47 PM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:40 PM
  • Thanks, I quess I will do it in VBA code. I will check out the link you sent. Thanks alot Jörn. There is very little documentation on what is available in Runtime so I ended up here in this forum. Next time I will start here!

Brent

Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:49 PM