none
A2010 report desiger - moving controls with keyboard problem

Question

• For MANY years I've been able to move controls around on a report by using the arrow keys or CTRL + an arrow key for finer movements. Now that I'm finally using A2010, I'm beyond frustrated that this does not work predictably. Very often I'll select a control, use CTRL+arrow key to move it and it will jump into a seemingly random position. This behavior is ONLY with A2010. I do not have other keyboard issues with any other programs. When you need to move a group of controls slightly to the left or slightly down, this is the only practical way to do it. Typing in X/Y coordinates is nuts but right now I'm stuck with that. It's even more nuts when not all the controls you are moving have the same left or top position but you want to move them as a group. Has anyone else experienced this? (it doesn't matter if it's CTRL+arrow or just an arrow key, same problem)
    • Edited by keithrh Friday, June 14, 2013 10:08 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2013 9:58 PM

All replies

• I have never seen that in design view.  Are you sure you didn't use Layout view by mistake?
    Friday, June 14, 2013 11:03 PM
  • Yep. Never used layout view. Skipped from A2003 to A2010 and haven't even tried to look into it. Trying to get reports laid out just right for a client is a pain in the butt right now. No control over the position of controls the way I'm used to. Really blows. 15 years of Access development and I'm ready to go back to Access 2003.
    Saturday, June 15, 2013 1:32 AM
  • I should mention that it's an adp. I didn't make it an adp so nobody yell at me or tell me to change it to an mdb. Another programmer converted my original application from an mdb to an adp and I had no say in the matter. It's been a thorn in my side ever since. Anyway, it's all going to asp.net in the next year anyway. And apparently adp's don't allow for layout view. And I'm wondering if this bug is unique to adps.
    Saturday, June 15, 2013 3:20 AM
  • This bug has been "featured" in Access 2007. Unfortunatelly, there's no way how to get rid of this.

In many cases Shift+arrow (to changes controls' size) doesn't work either. :-(

Vladimir Cvajniga

Saturday, June 15, 2013 6:56 AM
  • Well, thanks Vladimir for confirming this for me. I'm tired of encountering bugs in MS software and feeling like the only one that experiences them. The IDE for A2003 wasn't perfect but it behaved well and let you get the job done. I skipped A2007 so I am not aware of the problems there, but A2010, although it has some nice new features, does NOT hold a candle to it's former self. I hate that when in development if you switch the list on the right from forms to reports for example, it goes back to the top, forgetting which object you had previously edited or selected. ALL previous versions to A2007 remembered which you were on even after closing the file completely. To me, this is a huge oversight regardless of what others may think. And the fact that the bug in my OP was also in A2007 just confirms for me more strongly how far the people at MS have their heads up their..... well, you know. Thanks again.
    Saturday, June 15, 2013 2:34 PM
  • Well, Access developers' team has been forcing Access down since its 2000 release. I'm affraid they're driving Access the same way as they did with FoxPro. :-(

Vladimir Cvajniga

Sunday, June 23, 2013 11:32 AM