none
Mail Merge Attachments

Question

• I have standardized letters that I must send on a regular basis. I've gone through the whole process of setting them up to mail merge through Word and Outlook and I want the final output to be an e-mail with the letter as an attachment. When I select "attachment" as the mail format in the finish mail merge process it brings up the dialogue box asking me to input the subject line etc. Is there any way I can edit the e-mail it sends because right now it sends just a blank e-mail with the attached letter?

Thanks,

Jon

Friday, August 12, 2011 12:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jon,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I will make more sense if you tell me the Outlook version and Word version. And would you please tell what’s mean of the “letters”?

It’s based on my understanding that letter is the document that you have. So you mean how to create a mail item to send the particular Word document as attachments. Is it right?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, August 15, 2011 6:39 AM
  • Hey Tom,

I'm using Outlook and Word 2007, and when I say letters I mean the documents. I am trying to automate a process that sends letters to customers based off of customer information. I'm using mail merge to personalize these letters with specific pieces of information and then I'm using the 'edit individual documents' functionality in conjunction with a macro to separate and save each individual document. The only problem with my current solution is that it only automates 95% of the process. The last step, taking the merged documents and sending them to the customer attached to an e-mail is what I'm trying to figure out. I know that mail merge has the send e-mail option that allows me to select the mail format of attachment, producing almost exactly what I need. The problem is that when done that way, the e-mail sent through the mail merge is completely blank other than the attachment. Is there any way I can edit that e-mail before mail merge sends it (without having to put outlook in offline mode, the simpler the solution the better)

Thanks,

Jon

Monday, August 15, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Hi Jon,

According to your description, the key step which you concern is how to send this document as a mail’s attachment and customize the mail body’s content. Is it right?

If it is, I would recommend your use “Body” property of the MailItem instance to handle your issue. And I think if you use Word button on the left-top side and select Send>>Email to create a mail item and customized message content before send.

I hop what I said can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:02 AM
  • Thanks for your advice Tom!

I'll look into the body property, it would be nice if outlook had the function to record a macro.

You are correct the send>>email also lets you customize before sending, only problem is you have to do that for each individual e-mail. Ideally I would like to make 1 click, have the document merge, attach itself to a preformatted, standardized e-mail and send to the e-mail address for each recipient with their specific attachment.

As far as I can tell that might be asking a bit too much so at this point I think I will have to settle for the send>>email option with a standardized signature which includes the body of the email so it can easily be added and sent. However it will still be tedious when the recipent list gets large...er.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:01 PM
  • http://www.everythingaccess.com/tutorials.asp?ID=Outlook-Send-E-mail-Without-Security-Warning

Just found this link, still testing the code, but so far it looks like it might just do everything I need with a little tweaking here or there. Hope this helps someone else in need.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Hi jbrupert,

As you handle your issue in Word, I would recommend you create a macro in Word and implement the Outlook object library into your Word VBA project.

Reference:

Mail Merge: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vs2008prerelease/thread/7cd6e63a-fc57-44bb-8532-3a5754890602

MailItem.Attachments.Add http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa210901(office.11).aspx

MailItem.Body http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa210946(v=office.11).aspx

I hope it can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:42 AM