none
adding data to multiple tables using one form in Access 2010?

Question

• Hi All,

I have a access database with two tables and I want to create a single form to enter data into that tables.

How to adding data to multiple tables using one form in Access 2010?

I don't have to much knowledge of access database?

Please help me

Thanks

Balaji

Friday, June 22, 2012 12:13 PM

Answers

• I presume you mean you have a master - detail arrangement where the records in Table 2 are related to the records in Table 1, such as when you have a Customer (Table 1) and Order (Table 2) relationship.

If that is the case then create one form for the master table and one form for the detail table, insert the second form as a subform of the first form (search Help for "subform") and link the forms on the common ID field.

For the benefit of others, please mark posts as answered or helpful when they answer or assist you in finding the answer. "Don't confuse fame with success. Paris Hilton is one; Helen Keller is the other." - with apologies to Erma Bombeck for paraphrasing her words.

Friday, June 22, 2012 1:03 PM

All replies

• Such a need would typically indicate an improperly design table structure.  Could you possibly explain a little more your setup, perhaps the type of data that would require such duplication.  Then we will be better able to provide some advice for you.

Daniel Pineault, 2010 Microsoft MVP
    http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Friday, June 22, 2012 12:19 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for quick reply.

I have a two table.

E.g

1) Table 1          2) Table2

In Table 1 have 10 column and Table 2 has 5 column for multiple records insert.

In Table 2 column is repetitive for above Table 1 records.

I want to create a form to insert data into that two tables.

Please help me?

Thanks

Balaji

Friday, June 22, 2012 12:42 PM
  • I presume you mean you have a master - detail arrangement where the records in Table 2 are related to the records in Table 1, such as when you have a Customer (Table 1) and Order (Table 2) relationship.

If that is the case then create one form for the master table and one form for the detail table, insert the second form as a subform of the first form (search Help for "subform") and link the forms on the common ID field.

For the benefit of others, please mark posts as answered or helpful when they answer or assist you in finding the answer. "Don't confuse fame with success. Paris Hilton is one; Helen Keller is the other." - with apologies to Erma Bombeck for paraphrasing her words.

Friday, June 22, 2012 1:03 PM
  • Thanks Ray .... this helped me lot.... :)
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:48 AM
  • You really don't enter identical data into 2 tables.  You enter dat into one single table, and then you have an unique identifier that maps to another table (you have a unique relationship between two tables). 

Maybe you need to read this.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/access-help/database-design-basics-HA001224247.aspx

Think about it this way...  What is you update data in 2 tables, and then the data in one of those tables changes, but the data in the other table does NOT change.  WHOOPS!!  Now, you've got a BIG problem.  For instance, you have a customer named Bill Gates.  In one Table you update Bill's address to 1835 73rd Ave NE, Medina, WA 98039 and in the other table you accidentally update Bill's address to 183 73rd Ave NE, Medina, WA 98039.  Now you have 2 addresses for Bill.  Why would you want that???  Which is right?  No one knows.  If you have one address, you just have to update one address and if there is a mistake, you just have to update one address, but you don't have to waste time trying to figure out which is right and which is wong...and then update the one that is wrong.

Post back with specific questions.

Knowledge is the only thing that I can give you, and still retain, and we are both better off for it.

Monday, September 30, 2013 1:53 PM