none
Excel 2007 Unreadable Content - Excel

Question

• Hello everyone,

I have a macro enabled spreadsheet (XLSM) that when I open it about 50% of the time I get the following error:

"Excel found unreadable content in 'filename.xlsm'. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes"

After clicking yes Excel repairs the file and brings up the following message:

"Excel was able to open the file by repairing or removing the unreadable content. Remove records: sorting from /xl/worksheets/sheet2.xml part. Click to view log file listings repairs: c:\users\....\AppData\Local\Temp\error022080_01.xml"

It seems that it doesn't matter how many times I repair the file upon opening it - I get the same error message time and time again.

Is there a fix for this? Can someone explain to me why this is happening?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Manoj
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 6:34 AM

Answers

• Hi All,

Issue Resolved.

There was problem in data validation as I was giving delimited string as formula and there is limit in the number of characters(255, i guess) and hence it was crashing.

so to solve this problem, I have copied the text in contigous cells and given name to cells range and that Name is given in data validation formula .

Cheers,

Manoj

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:15 AM

All replies

• Is it happening to one workbook or all,

If its happening to all workbook then try re-install the Office software and try again.

Lets see if it solves your problem .

Thanks

Dwipayan

Dwipayan Das
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 1:03 PM
  • Make sure you have all critical Widows updates and all critical Office updates.

http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/thanks.aspx?ln=en&&thankspage=5

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Update

Or, as Dwipayan said, Uninstall/Reinstall.  What you described DEFINITELY is unusual behavior.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Manoj

To clear my doubts I read your post twice :) What I could make out from your post is that (and I could be wrong) you are facing this problem with 1 particular workbook. If yes then do this. I have used the below mentioned way in the past to sort this problem and it has fortunately, always worked.

(Let me warn you... it is a painful yet effective way to solve the above problem)

1) Open the workbook and get past the error message.

2) Export all the VBA Code, if it has any (Since it is an xlsm).

3) Open a new Excel File

4) In the original workbook, copy the data from the Sheet1 and do a pastespecial in Sheet1 of the new workbook. Repeat the steps for all the sheets.

5) Do the necessary formatting in the new file so that it looks like the old file. But do not copy paste formats from the original file into the new file.

6) Import the VBA Code

7) Save the new file and you are done.

Sid (A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up) Please do not email me your questions. I do not answer questions by email unless I get paid for it :) If you want, create a thread in VB.Net/Excel forum and email me the link and I will help you if I can.
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 10:35 PM
  • You could also try using Rob Bovey's code cleaner. Get it at

http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

Ed Ferrero
    www.edferrero.com
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 2:26 AM
    Answerer
  • It is happening to only one workbook. It has some thing to do with Data Validation.

Thursday, February 02, 2012 10:57 AM
  • If its a data issue then do the steps suggested by Mr. Sidharth ,do it in a iterative way so you can find the exact data issue where its failing .

Dwipayan Das
    • Edited by Dwipayan Das Thursday, February 02, 2012 12:33 PM r
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 12:32 PM
  • You can do this. 

Open a new Excel session > File > Open > (click the DOWN ARROW on the Open button) > Open and Repair . . . follow the prompts

Not sure if that will work or not, but it's worth a try!!

Thursday, February 02, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Hi All,

Issue Resolved.

There was problem in data validation as I was giving delimited string as formula and there is limit in the number of characters(255, i guess) and hence it was crashing.

so to solve this problem, I have copied the text in contigous cells and given name to cells range and that Name is given in data validation formula .

Cheers,

Manoj

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:15 AM