none
Tab Control A2010-->A2003

Question

• I have a client using A2003, and their application has several forms with tab controls that work just fine.  I, however, have recently migrated to A2010.  They recently asked me to add a new feature that involves a new form with a tab control, each tab containing a different subform.  I studiously avoided upgrading the application to A2010 or using any features that I know didn't exist in A2003, but when I sent the .mdb to them for initial testing, the newly developed form did not show the tab control at all.  What's up with that?  Am I going to have to reinstall A2003 to work on their database, or is there some setting I've overlooked that will ensure changes I make to a .mdb in A2010 will still perform correctly in A2003?
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:31 PM

Answers

• The computer I'm using now has only 2010; my other one actually has both 2003 and 2010, but I won't have access to that one again until fall.  I used 2010 to create a new .mdb database, copied the forms in question (main form and five subforms, one for each tab) from the client's .mdb into the new .mdb, and from there exported all five forms to text files.  Then I deleted the original forms from the new .mdb and reimported the text files into the new, now totally empty .mdb.  I put them through their paces there and not surprisingly, everything seemed fine.  I then copied them BACK into the client's .mdb after first renaming the original forms there, and EMailed it to her to try out.  If she opens it with her 2003 and still doesn't see the tabs, she'll just have to wait until fall, and is resigned to that possibility.  I had hoped there was a setting somewhere that would fix the problem, but apparently not.

The thought crossed my mind not to use a tab control at all, and instead have each subform appear as a popup based on an option box or the like, but that would mean re-doing a lot of work, and since she's okay with waiting if it can't be avoided, that's probably what'll happen.

I do appreciate all the help here -- thanks, guys.

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:08 AM

All replies

• It is always best to develop your database application using the same Access version as your client's.

If you have to use a different version, it is better using one that is earlier/older than your client's version.

If you have to use a later/new Access version, you need to test carefully your design changes on the target machine(s) to know for sure that changes done on a later Access version will work in the earlier Access version. 

The problem is that an Access Object (Form,Report, Control, etc...) created/modified in a later Access version will have more Properties but new Properties (used by the later Access version) are not recognised by ealier Access versions.  These become "UnknowProps" and they can cause problems.  For example, see the problems (and possible solution) we discussed in recent MSDN thread

Moving a form (import/export) between different Access versions

That's why I value my old PCs since I never know when I need an old Access version.

Van Dinh

• Edited by Van DinhMVP Friday, June 21, 2013 12:29 AM Typos
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:16 PM
  • Well, the helpful spirit of the mini-lecture on what I SHOULD have done is appreciated, but I have to deal with my current realities.  I have what I have (2010) and the client has what she has (2003), and she can't afford or can't get approval to upgrade.

The link was helpful to a point; took me a couple tries to get the export and re-import as text to work, but I did get there eventually and have sent a test copy to the client to see if it works on her 2003 machine.  I'm waiting now for her response as to whether she now sees and can use the new tab control.  If so, life is good.  Obviously, though, I'm going to have to re-install 2003 on at least one of my computers unless I'm willing to go through this "retrofit" every time I change something.  I don't have and have never used the developer pack that would let me produce a self contained runtime application, and frankly the occasional consulting job I do doesn't warrant the expense.

Sunday, June 23, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Well, I'm affraid you can't expect same functionality in different version especially when you develop in higher release of MS Access than the one on user's machine.

Anyway, tabs have been available since Access 97, at least. Maybe there's a code incompatibility or something like that. Could you post a sample applictaion, please? I don't have A2003, but I have A2002 & A2007. I wonder how your app will perform on A2002.

Vladimir Cvajniga

Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:59 PM
  • Stand by.  It might be that the export to text/reimport from text thing solved the problem.  I'll post again here either way. 

I do, though, sorta kinda expect that if MS comes out with a new version, and allows you to open and work with an earlier version (e.g., 2003 .mdb versus 2010 .accdb), then changes you make to an earlier version will indeed work in said earlier version.  If not, okay, state that clearly, i.e., tab controls in 2010 have properties that tabs in 2003 do not have, so don't expect to be able to create forms with tabs in 2010 and still have them work in 2003.  OR, if you allow .mdb to be opened and modified via 2010, make sure any modification either (1) WORKS in 2003 or (2) developers get a warning that it WON'T work in 2003.  Seems like basic user-friendliness ....

Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:22 PM
  • >>...took me a couple tries to get the export and re-import as text to work, but I did get there eventually and have sent a test copy to the client to see if it works on her 2003 machine.  I'm waiting now for her response as to whether she now sees and can use the new tab control.  If so, life is good.  Obviously, though, I'm going to have to re-install 2003 on at least one of my computers unless I'm willing to go through this "retrofit" every time I change something.<<

???

Which Access version did you use for the export / re-import?

If you used Access 2010, you might end up with the same problem since all the UnknownProps will re-appear in her Access 2003.

Andrey (from the other thread) did not state clearly but I suspected that he used Access 2003 to perform the required import (to temp database)/ SaveAsText / second import (to actual database).  I certainly used Access 2003 for the whole process.

I should mention that in my case, the Form that was created/designed using Access 2007 worked fine in Access 2003.  The problem only surfaced when I tried to modify this Form using Access 2002/Access 2003.

Van Dinh

• Edited by Van DinhMVP Monday, June 24, 2013 2:56 AM Typos
    Monday, June 24, 2013 12:00 AM
  • The computer I'm using now has only 2010; my other one actually has both 2003 and 2010, but I won't have access to that one again until fall.  I used 2010 to create a new .mdb database, copied the forms in question (main form and five subforms, one for each tab) from the client's .mdb into the new .mdb, and from there exported all five forms to text files.  Then I deleted the original forms from the new .mdb and reimported the text files into the new, now totally empty .mdb.  I put them through their paces there and not surprisingly, everything seemed fine.  I then copied them BACK into the client's .mdb after first renaming the original forms there, and EMailed it to her to try out.  If she opens it with her 2003 and still doesn't see the tabs, she'll just have to wait until fall, and is resigned to that possibility.  I had hoped there was a setting somewhere that would fix the problem, but apparently not.

The thought crossed my mind not to use a tab control at all, and instead have each subform appear as a popup based on an option box or the like, but that would mean re-doing a lot of work, and since she's okay with waiting if it can't be avoided, that's probably what'll happen.

I do appreciate all the help here -- thanks, guys.

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:08 AM