none
Access 2010 - Cannot delete objects

Question

• I am a volunteer for a not for profit doing Access maintenance.  I recently converted to 2010 from 2003.  I cannot delete objects (tables, queries, forms, etc.).  The option is grayed.  I do my work at home and install the changes by deleting existing objects and importing the new/changed objects.  The database has user level security.  I created a new database and imported the 889 objects, which I CAN delete.  However, when I set up the user security, my users cannot get into the redone database.  I used the same group IDs to create the new security as I did on the original.  Redoing the security for all the users is not a palatable option.  I really need to be able to delete objects.  Please help.  It is obviously a bug.  Is there a fix?  Is there something I can do?

Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:49 PM

Answers

• Mona,

Thank you, thank you.

I found the answer in the link.  I am repeating it here for others who have the problem.

Open the database with your username and password (assuming you have administrator security).

Go to User and Group Accounts and click the Clear Password button for the Admin user.  Click OK.  Close the database.

Click the shortcut to log into the database again.  It will not ask for a password.  The Delete option is available.  Go to User and Group Accounts and click Change Password.  Since you are logged on as Admin, you will be changing the Admin password.  Enter the password you want assigned to Admin in the New section and then Verify it.  Click OK.  Close the database.

Click the shortcut to log into the database and use your username and password.  The Delete option is still available.  MAGIC!!

Monday, June 27, 2011 9:39 PM

All replies

• Get the system.mdw (or whatever your mdw is named) from the old machine and put it on the new one. Then create a shortcut:

<path_to>msaccess.exe <path_to>your.mdb <path_to>your.mdw

and login using a member of the Admins group.

Access workgroup security is an advanced topic, which you should only engage in after you download, study, and fully understand the Access Security FAQ from microsoft.com. As my friend Larry used to say: 30-some pages, no filler.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:26 PM
  • I am able to open the database that was created using Access 2003 by using the above process of copying the original system.mdw file and setting up the properties in the desktop shortcut.  However, when I open the database in Access 2010, I cannot delete objects - the option is grayed.  I have the same problem in all the databases that were created in Access 2003 - the Delete option is grayed.  For databases that do not have user level security, recreating the database in Access 2010 takes time, but it works.  I create a new database using Access 2010 and import all the objects from the 2003-created database and then the Delete option is available.

However, in the database that was created in Access 2003 with user level security, I am required to use the security wizard to re-establish the security.  I am able to do that.  I used the exact same Name and Group IDs as I used when I set up security in Access 2003.  I am able to open the newly secured database using the new Security.mdw file created in 2010.  But, I cannot use the original Security.mdw file created in 2003 to open the 2010 secured database.  I have Admin authority.  It seems I would have to redo user security in the new System.mdw file for all the users in order to have the Delete option available.

It seems like it is a bug in Access 2010 - that I cannot delete objects.  Is there an option I need to change to be able to delete objects in 2010, or is there a way to import users from the original System.mdw file into the the new System.mdw?

Thanks

Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:32 PM
  • In my opinion wise, it is best to code and create in A2003 than in A2010. Reasons being that there are additional properties/methods/objects (and the what so ever unknowns) in 2010 compared with 2003. If you're lucky to get it to work, congrats.

I don't know whether it's a bug, I would like to hear from others as well.

Monday, June 27, 2011 2:28 AM
  • It is not clear at all why you are creating a new database (and you not mentioning what format that new database is being created in).

I have to assume that you setup a correct short cut on your desktop (or in the folder where you work on the application). The short cut will look like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSACCESS.EXE"
    "c:\RidesDev\SkiRides\RidesXP\RidesXP.mdb"  /wrkgrp
    "c:\RidesDev\SkiRides\RidesXP\Rides.mdw"
    /User "RidesAdmin" /pwd "password"

Now, the above is all on one line. You of course could leave out the /user and /pwd, but I tend to enter this on my dev machine to speed up getting into the application.

You mention that you cannot delete things in that application, can you create things? (maybe the file been copied off a cd/dvd, or jump drive that set to read/only (you could right click on the file – ensure you can modify it).

As a side note, you cannot use the newer format accdb with security, you MUST remain in mdb format.

I been doing the above with workgroup + mdb in access 2010 and I have no trouble or issues deleting things.

So, bets point to some setup issue here, as I able to delete without issues. However, I would not create a new file at all.

I assume this is a mdb, and not a mde. I assume you copied both mdb and the workgroup file from the previous machine to your current new computer with a2010 on it. There should be no need in any way at all to re-create the workgroup file, and in fact you likely should be using the old one since it could contain user permissions and membership in particular security groups.

Albert D. Kallal  (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Monday, June 27, 2011 4:26 AM
  • The reason I recreated the database in Access 2010 was so I could delete objects, which I can - but then I can't get the user security to work with the old System.mdw field.

Monday, June 27, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Thanks for your response.  I hope with the following info you will be able to solve this problem.

I created the new .mdb in A2010 so that I could delete objects.  In other research, that is what the suggestion was.  In the A2003 database that I open in A2010, I am able to add new tables, queries, etc. and able to rename the objects, but the Delete option is grayed.  After I recreated the database in A2010, I was able to delete objects.

When I first used A2000, I had to change the references to make the databases created in Access 97 work.  I'm hoping the fix is that easy.

I did set up the shortcut on my PC and was able to open the A2003 database using A2010.  But again, I could not delete objects.

I created a new database using A2010 and imported all the objects from the A2003 database into the new database, set up the database options, and was able to maintain the database in A2010 including deleting objects.

When I used the security wizard to set up security on the A2010 database, I copied the GroupIDs from the original A2003 security set up thinking I would be able to use the A2003 System.mdw file to open the newly secured A2010 database.  I could open it with the new System.mdw file but not with the A2003 security file.  When I used the A2003 security file, I get the logon dialog box, enter my name and password and then get a message that I do not have the authority to open the database. I am the administrator.  I used the same name and password in both system files.  I'm sure I'm pointing to the correct database and correct system.mdw file.

It is important to be able to delete objects AND it is important to be able to use the A2003 security file.  Setting up security for all the users again is not a valid option.

Thanks again.

Monday, June 27, 2011 1:50 PM
  • Bad news. You can't use User Level Security (workgroup) on an Access 2007-2010 database (accdb). I'm not sure if this will work, but try converting the 2010 database to 2003 (mdb), or better yet, create a new mdb file and import the objects into it. Then open it in 2010 to apply the workgroup security.
    Bill Mosca
    http://www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals
    Monday, June 27, 2011 3:02 PM
  • As I pointed out, when I take an access 2003 database that is secured, and open it with Access 2010, I'm able to delete objects without any problems at all.  What this means is the rest of the community here is not experiencing your issue.  As a result, it means something is particular to your setup.

The first thing as pointed out by several people here, is if you use the accDB format, then you cannot use a security workgroup file, IT WILL NOT WORK AND IS NOT SUPPORTED.  What this means is you want to keep your existing file and existing format, and then workgroup security should work just fine.

The next thing pointed out here, if you create a new blank database (and I STRESS that this must be a 2003 format or earlier) when you copy the objects over, you are going to lose all security settings on all the objects.  Access has always worked this way, and doing this in the past or now means that you will have to painstakingly recreate and setup the security settings of EVERY SINGLE object from scratch again.  You probably do not want to do this. You likely want to avoid having to do this. So ONCE AGAIN the solution we are looking for here is to not create a new database unless that's going to be our ABSOLUTELY LAST CHOICE and last recourse.

So let's reverse things up a bit here, and get back to the beginning of this.  As I pointed out, I am without problems and issues able to open and use a secured database in access 2010. I am simply not experiencing any problems such as yours.

Now I'm going to ask again, and let's try this again one more time: When you take the original files, set up the correct shortcut, and THEN login using the SAME username and password that you did on the old system (that allowed you delete objects), are you able to create new objects? (yes or no?).  And after you create those objects, can you delete them? (yes or no?). And what about existing objects, can you modify them (yes or no?).

In other words, the question is ONLY the delete option gone or is it other operations that are also not working?  Again we are assuming here that you're using the same workgroup file and the original database from the older machine on this newer computer. AND you are using the SAME logon and user that allowed you to Italy objects on the previous machine.

It makes little sense that all the other permissions such as editing or creating objects and modifying them works correctly, but only the option to delete is not working anymore.  This would be MOST surprising. However, if it is in fact the case, then what happens if you give delete permissions or change owership of a object such as a form using the security manager?

So, are you able to edit or create objects using this original workgroup file and original database on the new computer with access 2010 or not?  And when you create those objects, are you able to delete that object?

At the end of of the day you do not want to re secure the database. And you do NOT want to create a new workgroup file. You do NOT want to create a new format database either as then user level security will not work correctly. 

Albert D. Kallal  (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Monday, June 27, 2011 6:26 PM
  • I appreciate your help.  I hope I answer all your questions.

I am talking about a database created in Access 2003 and opened in Access 2010.  I am the database owner and have administrative rights.

I did take the original files, set up the correct shortcut, and then logged into the database using the same username and password on the PC with Access 2010 that I used in Access 2003.  Yes, on the old system I was able to delete files.

Yes I can create new objects.  The Delete option and the Cut option are grayed for the newly created objects as well as for the others.  For the existing objects AND the newly created objects, I can copy and rename without a problem.  I can open the objects, open the objects in design view, and modify the objects.  I can delete fields in tables, change field types, change field names, delete columns in queries, add tables to queries, delete and change items within forms, modify the VBA code etc.  I just cannot delete the object itself.  I cannot delete tables, queries, forms, reports, macros, or modules.

Yes, when I created the new blank database, I created it in 2003 format.  I imported the objects from the original database, made sure the relationships were correctly set, set up the database options, etc.  In this created database, the Delete and Cut options are NOT grayed and work as expected.  I tested the newly created database and it functioned as expected.  I then used the security wizard to set up security on the newly created database.  I used the exact same Group IDs in the new security as in the original.  I am able to open the newly created database using the new security.mdw file that was created with the same name and password as used for the 2003 database.  I changed the pointers in the original security.mdw file and when I try to logon with it, I get the login dialog box, enter the same username and password.  After I click OK, I get a message that  tells me I don't have the proper authority.  I don't get the not a valid or password error message.

I agree, that I do not want to install the newly created database for my users because I do not want to set up all the security again.

I am glad to know that at least some users are not having the delete problem.  That probably means there is a switch or option somewhere that I can change.  I have done quite a bit of research and know that others are having the delete problem and they have been told to set up a new database in Access 2010 to solve the problem.

Thanks again.

Monday, June 27, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Dear sir 

check this link please

http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/Delete-Objects-Access-2-t1961869.html

Regards

Mona

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Dear Sir

close the access application ACCESS 2010 and reopen it again

There will be many appear up after the menu bar with a title  "Security warning"

click on the <options>

after that click <Enable this content>

GOOD luck

please tell me if it work with 

Regards

Mona

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:28 PM
  • Dear Sir

My third solution, please try to

choose the upright button from the access <office button>

<Access options>

you will find many options

like Add in items at the left menu <disabled items> <go>

Good luck

Mona

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Mona,

Thank you, thank you.

I found the answer in the link.  I am repeating it here for others who have the problem.

Open the database with your username and password (assuming you have administrator security).

Go to User and Group Accounts and click the Clear Password button for the Admin user.  Click OK.  Close the database.

Click the shortcut to log into the database again.  It will not ask for a password.  The Delete option is available.  Go to User and Group Accounts and click Change Password.  Since you are logged on as Admin, you will be changing the Admin password.  Enter the password you want assigned to Admin in the New section and then Verify it.  Click OK.  Close the database.

Click the shortcut to log into the database and use your username and password.  The Delete option is still available.  MAGIC!!

Monday, June 27, 2011 9:39 PM