none
Replacement for mscomct2.ocx

Question

• Can someone tell me what the replacement for mscomct2.ocx is? THis is the common control library used in Excel forms.  Many installs of Office do not include this.  It appears that Microsoft is deprecating it without replacing it.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 9:01 PM

Answers

• This library ius listed as a 6.0 control.  Which means that it was a control used in Visual Basic 6.0 and Visual Studio 6.0.  I don't thinkl it is a VBA control.

You can download the control if you want as stated on this webpage

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297381

Microsoft as been converting these older controls into the Net Library to attempt to use only one library for all microsoft software.  You can download the Visual Studio for free from MSDN.COM which contains newer controls or download the latest version of the Net Library (4.0) which have the controls.  Microsoft has eliminated some controls as part of the standardization and consider the deleted controls as obsolete.  You may not find a replacement for some of the controls  If you decide to use these older controls there isn't going to be a lot of support if you have problems with a 6.0 control.

My company is still using 4.0 controls on some new softwae development which are even older than the ones you are using.

jdweng
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:49 AM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 9:38 PM

All replies

• This library ius listed as a 6.0 control.  Which means that it was a control used in Visual Basic 6.0 and Visual Studio 6.0.  I don't thinkl it is a VBA control.

You can download the control if you want as stated on this webpage

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297381

Microsoft as been converting these older controls into the Net Library to attempt to use only one library for all microsoft software.  You can download the Visual Studio for free from MSDN.COM which contains newer controls or download the latest version of the Net Library (4.0) which have the controls.  Microsoft has eliminated some controls as part of the standardization and consider the deleted controls as obsolete.  You may not find a replacement for some of the controls  If you decide to use these older controls there isn't going to be a lot of support if you have problems with a 6.0 control.

My company is still using 4.0 controls on some new softwae development which are even older than the ones you are using.

jdweng
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:49 AM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Hi Jd_hancock ,

Have you figured out the solutions to resolve your issue? Does the suggestion work for you or not? If you still show any concern on your problem, just feel free to follow up.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, March 04, 2011 3:23 AM