none
Convert excel workbook 2003 to excel workbook 2010

Question

• Does anyone know of a program to automatically convert 2003 workbooks to 2010 workbooks?  In excel 2010 the conversion process requires opening the file answering a couple of prompts.  Then executing a macro I wrote to save the workbook in the current format.  The prompts are the problem.  I might use “SendKeys” to automatically answer the prompts, but if there is a program I would rather use it.   ups, SendKeys does not work!

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 9:58 AM

Answers

• Hi

Can you try including

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

before the code to open the file

Cheers

Shasur

http://www.vbadud.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:24 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 10:18 AM

All replies

• Not sure what you mean by "In excel 2010 the conversion process requires opening the file answering a couple of prompts"
    I can open Xl2003 file in XL2010 with no prompts (other than to permit macros) and I can do a SaveAs to convert it to XL2010 format

Does anyone know of a program to automatically convert 2003 workbooks to 2010 workbooks?  In excel 2010 the conversion process requires opening the file answering a couple of prompts.  Then executing a macro I wrote to save the workbook in the current format.  The prompts are the problem.  I might use �??SendKeys�?� to automatically answer the prompts, but if there is a program I would rather use it.   ups, SendKeys does not work!

people.stfx.ca/bliengme
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 11:22 AM
  • Bernard thanks for thinging about the Proble.

When I open a 2003 workbook in 2010 I get a prompt telling me it is dangerous and do I really want to open the workbook then I get a prompt telling me the data is corrupt and do I want to recover the data.  After all that the file is opened in protected mode and I have to tell it to edit it anyway so I can get into compatibility mode. Evidently compatibility mode is required to change the format. I do not want to have to respond to these messages.  I have over one hundred files to convert and that gets tedious. It turns out I can open the file by hand- not in a macro- respond to the prompts and execute the macro which can move out protected mode and save the file in 2010 format.  The system will not open the file by macro.  So I kind of need some automation to avoid the work!    

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Hello,

As Bernard said above, I also have a test to open a Excel 2003 workbook (.xls file) in Excel 2010. It also does not pop up any message. This file will turn to be in compatibility mode directly. I am not sure if it is related to be the data in Excel 2003 Workbook in your side. Here I upload the file I used here. Please test if this also has the scenario.

Also would you share the exactly messages with us when you open this excel 2003 workbook in Excel 2010?

Best regards,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, July 09, 2010 2:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, July 09, 2010 2:05 AM
    Friday, July 09, 2010 2:04 AM
  • Hi

Can you try including

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

before the code to open the file

Cheers

Shasur

http://www.vbadud.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:24 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 10:18 AM
  • Hello,

How this issue is going on in your side? I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. Could you please let me know if the suggestion works for you or not? If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best regards,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:05 AM