none
Unexpected error after creating User Profile Service Application in SharePoint 2010

Question

• Hi All,

I have been stuck on an error for several days when trying to create the User Profile Service Application. The service is successful created but upon clicking or managing it I get an error "An unexpected error has occurred". I have made sure to reset IIS every time after completing the creation and the problem still persists. I have tried many solutions from online... SSL is not configured... settings in IIS are set up correctly... permissions are correct in CA and on SQL... 

I am running SharePoint 2010 Enterprise, Windows Server 2008 R2

Error from log:

An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: The HTTP request is unauthorized with client authentication scheme 'Negotiate'. The authentication header received from the server was 'Negotiate,NTLM'..

Event ID 8306

Task Category : Claims Authentication

Any help would be much appreciated... THANKS!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please check if the user profile synchronization service is starting properly, if it is not starting, try to start the service.

If the issue persists, please delete the user profile service application and database, then re-provisioned it based on the steps: http://www.harbar.net/articles/sp2010ups.aspx

It is seems that event ID 8306 regarding Form basic authentication, have you configured  Form basic authentication in your site?

Let me know the result.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check if the user profile synchronization service is starting properly, if it is not starting, try to start the service.

If the issue persists, please delete the user profile service application and database, then re-provisioned it based on the steps: http://www.harbar.net/articles/sp2010ups.aspx

It is seems that event ID 8306 regarding Form basic authentication, have you configured  Form basic authentication in your site?

Let me know the result.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:46 AM
  • I have been suffering from this for few days, i couldn't sleep @ the weekend. suddenly i shocked coz i knew that this service is not working on SharePoint Service Pack 1. i installed the cumulative updates tell FEB and every thing went fine.

Download Updates from here.

Remember to install the updates according to dates, starting with the earlier.

Sunday, April 08, 2012 1:51 PM