none
Outlook conditional formatting not picking up by email address

Question

• Hello there, 

I know this is not exactly a developers question but i have used MS answers and read everything i could find on the internet about it and still haven't sorted it out so am hoping someone here can clarify for me please.

My issue is with conditional formatting and which field Outlook 2010 uses to identify an email sent only to me?  I am familiar with conditional formatting and have set up a conditional format to colour all messages sent only to me using the 'where i am - the only person in the To box' tick box. 

The problem i'm having is it is not picking up all messages sent only to me.  It appears that if the sender has saved me as a contact and changed my display name it's not being recognised.

Scenario:

Imagine my email account was set up with jsmith@company.com as my email address and
    John Smith as my display name.

Only emails received with exactly John Smith as the to field are formatted. If the sender has simply typed my email address it is not formatted, not is it formatted if they have stored me as a contact with say Johnny or Jack Smith.

I assumed Outlook would base the selection on the underlying email address rather than the display name but that isn't the case here.

If i change my User Name under account settings information then only those messages that are specifically sent to my email address are formatted - ie jsmith@company.com not John Smith.

is there something i've missed or is this an error in the program?

I have played around with adding variations of my name to the Advanced tab which works fine with the 'Where i am' tick box un-selected but the minute i turn it on again the formatting skips messages that aren't my exact display name.

PS, i have 2 email accounts set up in outlook if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help you are able to provide.

Monday, April 30, 2012 7:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Barb,

Unfortunately I don't think there is going to be a way to accomplish what you want.

The type of account is relevant here, because in a Microsoft Exchange (corporate) scenario, your own recipient address would resolve to your organizational recipient in all cases, and there would be consistency. However, for other types of accounts like HTTP, POP or IMAP (which is what I presume you are using), the recipient address will vary depending on the sender. Unfortunately, the internet is not really a "controlled environment" so the display name that Outlook uses comes from the internet headers on the message, and this can vary depending on sender, sender's e-mail program, sender's server, etc.

Bill Jacob - Microsoft Customer Service & Support - Developer Messaging

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Barb,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Would you please clarify your Outlook version for further research? It's based on my experience that you are able to handle it via a rule.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:14 AM
  • Hi Tom

I'm using Outlook 2010.  I am familiar with rules also and i know i don't think you can format the text of an email using rules.  The conditional format appears to be exactly what i'm wanting but it just isn't working as I'd expect, ie seems to be using the display name rather than email address.

From the Inbox i'm going to View tab, View Settings button, then Conditional formatting.  This is the condition i'm trying to use:

I'd love to hear if you have other ideas.  Thanks in advance.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 3:38 AM
  • Hi Barb,

OK, I will involve some experts into this issue to see whether them can help you out. There might be some time delay, thanks for your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, May 07, 2012 7:40 AM
  • Thanks very much for that Tom.  I'll look forward to hearing what they have to say.
    Monday, May 07, 2012 8:07 AM
  • Hi Barb,

Unfortunately I don't think there is going to be a way to accomplish what you want.

The type of account is relevant here, because in a Microsoft Exchange (corporate) scenario, your own recipient address would resolve to your organizational recipient in all cases, and there would be consistency. However, for other types of accounts like HTTP, POP or IMAP (which is what I presume you are using), the recipient address will vary depending on the sender. Unfortunately, the internet is not really a "controlled environment" so the display name that Outlook uses comes from the internet headers on the message, and this can vary depending on sender, sender's e-mail program, sender's server, etc.

Bill Jacob - Microsoft Customer Service & Support - Developer Messaging

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Thanks Bill

I understand what you are saying and yes, we are using Outlook without MS Exchange.  We have a lot of small businesses here who don't use Exchange - at least i know now that i can put it down to 'can't be done' in this case!

Thanks very much for your time in replying.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:12 AM