none
Delete all in Footer

Question

• Ok, this is a simple question i think.  I have a mix of contentControls and text in my documents Footer.  I want to delete it all programatically.  I have tried the following but it does not work:

rng = Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.Sections[1].Footers[Word.WdHeaderFooterIndex.wdHeaderFooterPrimary].Range;
    rng.Delete();

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:16 PM

Answers

• Ha!  I got it to work!

Ok, what i was doing wrong was something along the lines of "going too deep into the document"

my non-working code =

rng = Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.Sections[1].Footers[Word.WdHeaderFooterIndex.wdHeaderFooterFirstPage].Range;

rng.Application.ActiveDocument .Tables[1].Delete();

However it works when i do the following:

rng = Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.Sections[1].Footers[Word.WdHeaderFooterIndex.wdHeaderFooterFirstPage].Range;
    rng.Tables[1].Delete();

• Marked as answer by Renley Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:02 PM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Renley

How does it not work?

Version of Word?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:28 AM
  • Sure. 

I am using C#

Word 2007

I am executing this code from a Windows Form.

And specifically; it does absolutely nothing.  The code does not error, and the range deletes nothing.  All text and controls are still there. 

Perhaps I am simply going about this the wrong way?  How can I simply select the Footer and delete all?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:23 PM
  • Hi Renley

<<I am executing this code from a Windows Form.>>

Ahhh.

<<rng = Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.Sections[1].Footers[Word.WdHeaderFooterIndex.wdHeaderFooterPrimary].Range;>>

You can't use Globals.ThisAddin in a Windows Forms application, only from within a VSTO Add-in. I'm actually surprised you're not getting compiler errors...

Could you show me how your code is declaring and instantiating:

- the Word application object
    - the Word document in which the header/footer is located

That way I can give you sample code that's meaningful in your project's context and perhaps catch any other problems waiting to jump out and trip you up :-)

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:36 PM
  • Ok, here goes:

using Word = Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word;

Word.ContentControls conCtrls;

conCtrls = Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.SelectContentControlsByTag("pic1");

^ So the above works, and allows me to access the controls on a loaded document which is also a template

//***this loads the specified template into a new document, we can now edit it or access its controls
    object tempName = _templatefilepath + "\\Letter.dotx";
    object newTemp = false;
    object documentType = Word.WdNewDocumentType.wdNewBlankDocument;
    object visible = true;

Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.Documents.Add(ref tempName, ref newTemp, ref documentType, ref visible);
    //***

^ This code also works fine and allows me access to the document.

• Unmarked as answer by Renley Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:57 PM
  • Ha!  I got it to work!

Ok, what i was doing wrong was something along the lines of "going too deep into the document"

my non-working code =

rng.Application.ActiveDocument .Tables[1].Delete();

However it works when i do the following:

rng.Tables[1].Delete();

Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:02 PM